Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-Fer Case Prob ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Feb 15, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Ok, I was messin' around and drove up a snowbank lastnight, had to put it in 4-lo to get off the thing...as I was shifting into 4-lo I had the truck in neutral, and apon shifting heard a grinding clunking sort of sound....it didn't sound to healthy....so I got to looking and it looks like I have a leak somewhere near where the drive shaft goes into a cone shaped piece that mates/bolts onto the t-case.....so I thought that maybe the fluid was low and I checked it this morning and it actually appeared to be a little to full....a good amount poured out as I went to get the funnel to add some fluid...?? Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong here...if I shift quickly it doesn't seem so bad, and at times is un-noticeable...but if I shift slowly it sound terrible....there also seemed to be a small amount coming from the spline? i think..the part of the d-line that goes into the t-case....hope this is enough info...its a NP208 ...thanks for the help

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

(Check the last paragraph if you wanna cut to the chase)
    Well the leaking is a little tendency of the NP208. I'm currently working with mine. So far I've cracked it open and siliconed the case halves to stop that leak. The other leak cans simply be fixed by putting in some new oil seals. You can get them off no problem by removing the shaft/yoke and VERY CAREFULLY using a small chisel or such to gently pound the outer metal lip of the seal. You should get it comming out aways and then you can get a better area to hit and it should pop out. The leak in the back will probably be a bad bushing on the output shaft. You have to take the tailshaft off to do it but its easy to do. If you want some more help with the leaks send me a private message and I'll walk you through it becuase my parts are supposed to be in any day.

Well as for the grinding...(this is my opnion, I may night be right so make sure you get one of the "old timers" to see what they think). The NP208 is great little case, but has the leak issues and some bushing wear. The bushing on the shift fork like to wear out cause things not to hit right. There really easy to and you don't even have to take the case off the truck to do it. If everything is good once its engaged then its probably with the shifting area then.

I'm assuming that something is messed up if the shifting doesnt feel good. There is another really simply point, you can't dilly dally when shifting into to 4 low from 2 hi. Just take the thing and throw on down into low quickly. Oh and the fluid should be just about up to the top of the fill plug hole. You cant really get a funnel to work so I just use the end off of a bottle of axle grease and squeeze the fluid on in.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert here, but a friends blazer burnt up a transmission (TH350) when all the fluid pumped itself into the tranfer case (NP208). We didn't realize what had gone wrong 'til we went to pull it and started draining fluids. ALOT of burnt ATF came out of the transfer. My point being....have you checked your transmission level lately?

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Mine just started to do the same thing. Its been doing it for the past 3 months. I'm also interested to know the answer to this one. So far still no problems besides the nasty sound and I still wheel the crap outta my rig.

Rod

BLAZER FOOD!!
    [​IMG]

5. gabdam

gabdam Registered Member

my 86 jimmy does that same grinding noise when i try to put it into 4 hi. i have a hard time shifting it into 4hi or lo sometimes i feel it doesn't even go in . i had it in 4 hi this winter and stomped on the gas just my rear wheels were spinning. got to get it looked at ...