Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

x-fer case question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dieselmh, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I've got a wierd question about transfer cases. I have a chance to buy a brand new doubler mated to a dana 300 x-fer case for $500. The guy paid $1,200 for the doubler, then sold his project before it came in. My questions are these: Would the Dana 300 hold up to a 400 HP 350 and my K5 on 1 ton axles with 44s? I'm just now doing the axle swap and lift, so I will have the d-shafts made to fit. If the 300 isn't strong enough, is there any way to make that doubler bolt up to my np205 that I already rebuilt? I'd like to run the doubler, and would prefer to stick with my np205 if possible. The guy selling it says that it will only bolt to a dana 300 and you can't use adapters to mate it to a 205, but he's not real knowledgable, so I'm asking here. Anyway, is it possible, or should I just try to find a jeep guy and hook him up with the deal? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: I forgot to add that is was made to bolt to a th350 tranny, so I'm good to go on that aspect.

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

its been talked out b4...the general agreement is...a dana 300 although gear driven "LIKE" a np205 is actually about the same strength as a 208....i'd say with yer setup...horsepower, running gear, and tires...yer looking at grenading that lil jeep jewel....just my oppinion tho /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm reasonably sure the D300 shares the same round pattern (possibly clocked though) as the 85 and up 205's. That said, it al depends what shaft was cut (# of splines and stickout) so it seems like getting the 205 right off the bat is the better route to go

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pass on it, and give me his phone number. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

D300 rocks. 4:1 is available, and so are shaft upgrades to make it bombproof. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I see that it's got a little bit lower gear ratio than my 205, which is good, I was just worried about the strength. I guess if I grenade the t-case I could always just sell the doubler to a jeep guy, as long as I didn't take it out when the t-case blew! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif