Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-FIRE FUEL INJECTION....WORTH IT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUESMAN, Feb 19, 2003.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I'm picking up an '82 305(yeah I know!!) that has an cross fire fuel injection on it.I want to install the intake/injectors on the 350 motor I have.Is the CFI worth the hassle??I know I'll have to get an remote electric fuel pump,one capable or putting out a minimum of 13PSI,what else do I need?I really want to get rid of the bogging,stumbling Edelbrock carb.I'm picking up the 305 with 4000 miles on the rebuild for $100.Thanks!!!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Its more of an setup issue than regular TBI, IIRC. GM didn't stay with it too long. But if you already got it - put it on one of those K5s - then you'll be the CFI K5 man. I'll help if I can.

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I know GM put the x-fire on thier vette's for a few years but they were a pita so they stopped using them. I have to think that the general was on to something when they stopped using it. So, if you already have it, its probably better than a carb, only more of a hassle. If you dont have it, I wouldnt spend my $$ on it.

Just my .02 and I have been known to be wrong on occasion. At least according to my wife...

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Basicly you will have to do the same things as with any TBI install.
    New pump and Plumb a fuel return line back to the tank.
    Add an 02 sensor to the exhaust near the Ex manifold as you can.
    You will need the dist out of the donor engine, wireing harness ECM and all that stuff.

Cross fire is acually pretty good on trucks it builds a lot of low and midrange torque.
    If you are going to add any performance mods like headers or anything I recomend you get an upgraded computer for it.
    The old stock computers really weren't that good.They were GM first real attempt at total computer controll and there are a few bugs in them. The computers are are the main reason some people dont like crossfire.
    Turbocity makes a upgraded comp that gets all the bugs out of the old system and really makes the Crossfire system run a lot better.

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

GM had alot of problems with this set-up. If I had a option, I would stay away, not worth the effort. You could most likely buy every part needed for a TBI set-up for less than 300 bucks if you look around. JMO

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

You definitely need the Turbocity upgrade if you want to run CFI. CFI kind of sucks in stock form, but it is amazing with the upgraded computer and stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I thought Cross-Fire was for higher rpm engines? Longer runners without being tall.

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Thanks for the e-bay watch!!I'll call you on the trailer tonite
    Everyone thanks for the info,I've been on a special board all about cross-fires,mostly Camaros and vettes.There quite a few mods that can be done to it.I think it will be an improvement over the carb,besides I never RPM past 5K anyways!Mike

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Generally longer runner = low speed torque; shorter runners = higher speed HP. That is extremely general though, there are many other factors.

I've always thot the CFI could be a good unit with the right computer driving it. Hadn't had a need to investigate what would want to happen. I'd say do it. It would be unique, how many other CFI'd rigs are there out there ?

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup. The longer runners build torque. Also the Crossfire intake runner/ports ports are small. That helps increase :t air velocity at low speed. Which is good for low end torque also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif