Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X jack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do you guys think about this thing?

http://www.4wpw.com/4wp/products/productline.asp?cat=ACC&man=ARBJ&prodline=4534&catName=General%20Accessories

Seems pretty cool to me, although kind of expensive. Sure seems easier to use and store than a Hi-lift. It goes 30", which is probably good enough for trucks that aren't uber-lifted and/or super flexy. Not sure whether it's advisable to put it under the axle.

I also think I'd rather carry a little 12V pump than use exhaust. It might be a problem with duals too.

2. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Another multi-million dollar idea I never capitalized on. When I was a volunteer fire fighter we would use air bags on the heavy rescue for extrications and stabilizing items. After getting bopped on the head with my hi-lift one day, I thought about using the same style air bags as a jack. They're tough, come in various sizes and lifting capacities, and are stackable. Problem is they were expensive as you can see.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I saw an infomercial on one like that back in the 80s

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yep we use them (Vedder Bags) all the time. Proven design. Though I've not used ARB's. I've never seen them offered commercially, cool.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

As for the duals, if you ran true duals with no x-over it would still work.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Air bags save lives...

Not only do air bags help you "save face" in a crash,they are also very powerful jacks too..I watched in amazement at a fair once,the local FD had a demo of the "Jaws of Life",and the metal cutting saw,the Air Bag jacks,etc..

I could not believe my eyes when they lifted a 30,000 lb Mack fire truck's axle off the ground with only the tailpipe providing the "air pressure"!..I assumed an "air jack" would need compressed air,like the ones that lift cars up by the bumpers..I was wrong,it only takes 10 psi or less in most cases!..

I saw a building show on cable the other day...they showed how homes are now being built with reinforced concrete,poured over a huge "ballon" that is inflated with low air pressure just like the air bags..lifts 20-30 tons of concrete easily 30+ feet high..makes a dome house in a few hours..one hour to pour,one hour to let it "set up" some,and inflating and troweling the concrete takes an hour or two..then by days end,its dry enough to walk on safely,and even move in!...:eek1: --they just deflate the "bladder" and use it on the next one.. IN genious!..poured garages anyone??:crazy:

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

for mud, sand, and snow thats pretty cool,

for rocks you just cant beet a reliable high lift, just mount the high lift inside secure and away from the weather and she will treat you right..

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So are Vedder bags available and at what cost? I was planning on buying one this week, but if ARB is copying, I"d rather have an original.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm just not going to be comfortable on rock. Sand, dirt, snow (if I know whats underneath) maybe.

10. Mastiff

I wonder how fast it goes up/down if you use a compressor. Might be handy for regular jacking in the shop... hmm, but then it's kinda wide which might make it tough to get jackstands in place. And I wouldn't want to trust it to work under in case it pops. :eek1:

Maybe for tire rotations or something though. Get four of them and it's almost as good as a lift. :tongue1:

11. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Vedder bags are used as far as I know primarily by emergency responders, fire and HazMat especially. Soooo the chances are they are super expensive, as is everything in that arena. When tax dollars are paying the cost goes up. Way up! As far as puncture resistance, I would be pretty confident in these things. Though again I'm speaking in general and don't know anything about the ARB versions. Another common user of these things is the heavy tow industry, ie tractor trailor, a search from that angle might come up with alternatives. Let us know what you find.

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I just realized my mistake, it's Vetter not Vedder. German product, US distribution is through Pete Fiset @ Safety Solutions International Ph 888 283 8837

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thanks. There's a description of the ARB bag at 4 wheel parts site. Reading between the lines I'd say they've done a "turning a $500 Gov. toilet seat" into a $200 cool-tool.

14. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen them in a while but the military used to use them for tracked vehicle recovery when them became mired, raise the vehicle up and put landing mat under the tracks or just drag them forward

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

A pattern is developing and it goes by the name ARB. 4 wheel parts has them for ~$200; what do ya think guys, is it worth it to try and track-down the pro stuff?:thinking:

16. Mastiff

I'd love to see a review of this thing before I take the plunge. And a picture of a lifted K5 getting jacked up. :wink1:

17. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Im with you on this one... Not sure if I trust this thing. Not only could it pop or leak, but it seems like it wouldnt be very stable either. Excellent idea, but... I'm the kind of guy that chocks the tires, uses jack stands and the hydraulic jack just to change oil.

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Oil change? We don't need no stinking jackes for de oil change:haha: Yea, I wonder if any of the Magazine guys visit CK5 to see what the H we're talkin about.:eek1:

19. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

Not for my vehicle... but I change oil for my girlfriend and my mom. Their vehicles are little lower to the ground.. :rolleyes:

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I hear ya about never enough support, got two Cadillacs, in earthquake country.:doah: SWATBurb, was dat; got pics?