Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-mas Locker question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Dec 25, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey all, was wanting a Detroit locker this xmas, i got a locker, but its a richmond lock right. From what I read it is the exact same thing as a detroit locker, and my parents got it for $300, a bit cheaper than detroit. $wd Shop said its the same thing but i was just wanting to make sure. I know that detroit locker has a lockright themselves but it is a limited slip. 4wd shop also said something of a lawsuit between detroit and richmond either over the name lock right or over a copyright infringment about the parts themselves. Thanks all, Merry Christmas.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A Lock Rite acts like a DL, but not quite as strong.

A good piece, and a dang nice score....

Now get off the 'puter and go thank your folks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Its a lunch box locker not a detriot for what axle nice gift /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh its for my 14ff i got sittin in the backyard, yeh i thanked em already, they werent sure if it was the right one or not. I told em I thought it was but im making sure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Merry Christmas

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

its a lot beefier for the detriot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Change your profile already then....A Lock Rite in a FF is a nice score. I don't recall anyone on here having issues with that particular set up.

Most of us don't have a 496 in front of it though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha the ff aint in yet, i still got the SF, heck my 496 aint even runnin yet lol.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

dang, just opened up the box, 300 bucks, for 2 sidegears, 2 spacers, some springs and some stop pins. What do you mean by a lunchbox locker? Aint that what like a govlock is? This isnt a whole housing thing (i dont know diff terminology lol). Very few pieces and this thing is heavy for all it appears to be. Probably weighs 15-20lbs maybe...Im bad at estimating weights, this should last up next to that 496 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

A lockrite is a lunch box locker because it just replaces the spyder gears, a gov lok is a whole carrier unit

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The detroit for the 14 ff is also a lunchbox locker though.

The reason a lock right is so expensive is that it has to be built to really tight tolerances so it doesn't grenade and so it'll release.

I have one in my DD, it rocks! It makes a ton of noise but I'm used to it by now.

The lawsuit they may be referring to is the lockright vs. detroit EZ locker which is similar in design but from what I hear, the EZ locker is much weaker.

I'd go for it, it's a great product.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The name lunchbox locker comes from the fact that it will fit in a lunch pail and takes good wrench about an hour to intall one. (your lunchbreak). Since the detroit shot up $100 this year for no reason, your locker is perfect.

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok i understand the lunchbox analogy now, for some reason i thought the gov lock was a lunchbox locker, so i equated a lunchbox to thin metal which equals breakage which equals gov lock. lol