Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X or H pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, May 6, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

What is the ideal configuration and why for true duals, X pipe or H pipe? Also what is the best location for dumps, I would think that it would be after the cross pipe, could be wrong, been wrong before:D .

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

all in all an x is better but your not losing that much with an h pipe. its easier to do, theres not alot of room in our trucks for an x pipe. should be cheaper too

3. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

You must have just got your July issue of 4Wheel&off-road. I run headers with dual exhaust, I would like to have the X pipe joining them, but it looks like the only place I could put it would be under the tailshaft housing of the transfer case, that would also bring the pipes down below the bottom of the frame. I dont think I would like the way that would look. For the cutouts, I would put 'em right behind the collectors.

4. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

you can run an x pipe with a 2wd truck no problem. you could possible run one if you ran it above your drive shaft and moved your mufflers above your axles. then dump the exhaust behind the rear wheels or out the back.

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Why does everyone get their magazines way before me?:mad:

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i personally don't like either design, takes away from the whole purpose of "true dual" exhaust.

like with a motor i have in a 2wd i am working on now, it has a true dual setup, and i also notice alittle oil smoke coming from the pass side pipe, this tells me that that head is going to need some service pretty soon,,(like we all don't need that:doah: :D )

i am just not a big fan of crossover pipes, may as well just run a large diameter single, into a muffler with dual out tips if ya want the dual look, less weight from all the added tubing, extra muffler and money for the setup.

again, this is just my opinion:D

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Bingo...!

This was not listed as an option.... but I think this is the way to go.

Marv

8. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I was with 4xcrazy on not having a h pipe in my exhaust, but now I want one or I want to have it go into a single muffler with a large tail pipe. I have true dual 2.25 with glass packs, I have no back pressure what so ever and with a H pipe or balance tube as some call it I was told I would get better low end and elimate any popping from the exhaust. If your talking about on a 4wd rig, you'll want an H pipe. I dont see room under my truck for an x pipe.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you put the dumps before the cross pipe, you might as well leave it off altogether. the pipe ENDS at a dump, if you were to dump it before the crossover, you wouldnt be feeding the crossover any exhaust gasses, thus you would just have extra pipe hanging under the truck for no reason.

yes, i agree. i've always hated the idea of improving a design that has been in use of the better part of the last 100 years. i also dislike the power increase you get from the improved cylinder scavenging. :screwy:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

glasspacks and no back pressure... :haha: obviously you havent done your homework when it comes to exhaust. even though it is a straight thru design, most mufflers flow better than a glasspack. you want to get rid of the popping? get rid of the glasspacks. :deal:

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm with Marv, I ran dual 2 1/2" pipes back to a crossover Y-pipe that is routed over the transfer rear output to a single 3" in/out flowmaster with a 3" tailpipe dumping right behind the rear axle. Only need to buy one muffler that way.

12. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I think there is some controversy over the H pipe giving you more torque and the X pipe giving you more top end horsepower. Either way, the muffler shop here in my town charges $35 for a X pipe and $20 for a H pipe on account of having to cut the X pipe at an angle. I have the H pipe on my '96 pickup but my jimmy has separate duals. Also, crossing over your exhaust makes it sound a little better. But I like having separate duals so I can listen to what each side of the motor is doing.

13. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

No disrespect intended, but there are very good, proven reasons to run a x- over pipe on a v- 8 engine. And I'm with Marv on this one, Unless your some kinda mega power racer type looking for every last ounce of torque and horsepower, why bother. A single exhaust works just fine and costs less.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

both will boost horsepower and torque. for obvious reasons, the X pipe is better at it though.