Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-over and a swaybar??...hmm....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, Apr 15, 2006.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

hey guys i was wondering what your take is on this situation....my pickup had a sway bar when i bought it (obviously)...i bought ORD swaybar disconnects when i had my 10-bolt and saginaw steering...when i went to my dana 60 w/ my crossover i had to take out my sway bar becuse it was in the way of the draglink....i dindnt mind drivin like that for a while but yesterday while i was at walmart i was sitting still in the parking space and went to turn and noticed at popping sound...so i had my buddy jump out and look at the front while i turned the wheel....apparently when i turned the wheel (not goin anywhere) it pushes the axle AND SPRINGS (6" BDS springs w/ a Hill offroad extended shackle, also a zero rate) to the side before it actually starts to turn the tires (not to mention the ridiculous body roll when i turn when i am moving)....im thinkin it would be good to add a trac-bar (panhard bar) to allieviate this...but ive never seen it done on a pickup like mine (86 chevy longbed)...is there a reason...also i thought of tryin to figure out a way to put the swaybar back on w/out interfering w/ the x-over (also hysteer in a few days)...i thought mabey putting the sway bar on the opposite side (closed end under engine somewhere w/ the open end facing down and forward) but i dont know how well this would work...mabey also some links from the disconnect to the swaybar to mabey put the swaybar up higher ya know?....i dunno...if any of you are running a swaybar w/ your highsteer x-over, please let me know how you did (or would do) it and mabey some pictures....thanks a zillion....

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I too am concerned about this movement prior to actually turning the wheels and am considering going the panhard route. As to reversing your sway bar, just remember that the axle moves up and backwards against the arc of travel of your newly positioned bar. In the stock position it mimics the arc of travel of the axle. That's why when people put a big lift on the suspension gets unnecessarily stiff, because the arc of travel of the sway bar is fighting the new arc of the lift kit.(unless sway bar drop blocks were used or in the case of the ORD kit, raised connecters).

3. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

thanks...i dint think about the arc of the axle travel in relation to the proposed new position of the sway bar....mabey i should go w/ the panhard bar...thanks for the info

4. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

Some pic’s of my crossmember/trackbar setup I finished last weekend.

Steering feel improved 110%. What little bump steer that was still apparent after x-over conversion is now gone. I’m working on a swaybar setup now. Also a swaybar disconnect system. I have a couple different ideas I’m kicking around. Will post some pic’s when it’s done.

DSC01348ck5.JPG

DSC01335ck5.JPG

DSC01344ck5.JPG

DSC01346ck5.JPG

DSC01348ck5.JPG

DSC01335ck5.JPG

DSC01344ck5.JPG

DSC01346ck5.JPG

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats pretty sweet. looks real good

7. kgblazerfive