Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

x-over/hysteer question: drag link to tie rod? good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Jan 7, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

X-over uses steering arm on passenger knuckle (D60). Hysteer usually uses a passneger side arm with 2 holes (one for tie rod, one for drag link) with another arm mounted on the driver's side. But, when moving the axle forward, I have potential interference between the tie rod and drag link connections on the passenger side arm at full turn (especially right turns).

Why not use the factory D60 tie rod as the tie rod. Flip it over so the original stabilizer hole in the tie rod is on the passenger's side. Drill this hole out some and attach the drag link to the tie rod? There would be no interference problems that way. I also would increase the angle some of the drag link preventing interference with the engine cross member but would still gain significantly from a non-xover setup.

Thoughts?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

I was wondering about this myself.
    ford ran it like this. since you are moving the axle fwd then you can put the drag link on the back side of the tie rod to compensate a bit. i dont see why it would be bad. you could use a heim joint on the drag link end connecting to the tie rod.
    Grant

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd think you would have the potential to bend the tie rod then...especially in the rocks!!

Rene

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I know the Hi-steer arms that I have, The stock Tie rod is way to long. It would have to be cut down to work. Maybe you could ask Dr. Watson (ORD). I bet he would have a good answer.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What hi-steer arms are you running?