Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-over installed ..... death wobble??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZK5, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I recently installed the crossover steering, hi-steer and hydraulic assist for my 60 and I finaly took it for a test ride. As soon as I hit 25 mph or the first bump the truck wobbles so hard that it yanks the steering wheel out of my hand. I replaced the king pin bushings and washers only cuz I had new ones layin around it didnt help at all. The pins looked good and I dont get any play from the lower bearing and pin. I aligned the front wheels the best I could with a tape measure and they appear to be right on. Should I invest in the complete king pin set or a 4 wheel alignment first?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

What about new kingpin springs?

I have heard of people here putting washers under the kingpin cap with old springs to increase the preload to get rid of DW.

I have crossover/highsteer/hydro assist also and I have just a hint of DW once in a great while.If it gets worse,Im gonna do the washer trick /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I had a very bad case of the DW not to long ago. I rebuilt everything in the axle, installed new TRE, and a new steering box. After all that I still had the DW if I hit pot holes, RR crossings, and any other bumps. I had the the truck aligned and it took all the DW from the truck. I can hit anything in the road and it wont wobble. I say get an alignment