Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X over rod..............

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by ntaj*ep, Apr 22, 2003.

1. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, I want to do the cross over steering, but I have 4" Rancho springs and will be putting in 0 rates. I want a straight drag link, no bend at all. Can I do this? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    BTW its a '72 K5.........

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

AFAIK, the 1" zero rates make even a bent drag link a dicey situation. it might work with a modified engine x-member

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i agree with zakk, modify the x-member maybe, and you will probably need a 1in spacer/block for the steering arm to compensate for the zero rate, i have a bent draglink and am going to do hysteer, is there any reason you dont want a bent draglink?

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

???????????
    I thought I was cool with the cross member situation?
    Am I wrong in that respect? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I don't want a bent drag link for a few reasons.
    First off strength, and second service, I can see alignments being a real bitch with a kinked drag link.
    I still don't see how my x-member will be effected? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ???????????
    I thought I was cool with the cross member situation?
    Am I wrong in that respect? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask Greg72 he has a ORD crossover and his is in a 1st gen. I think the other answers missed the 1st gen part of the question.

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have x-over/ histeer on my 1/2 ton front using a straight draglink and I used a 1'' spacer under each of the arms. The draglink *might* have cleared the springs without them but it would have been damned close /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Adding the zero rate to that equation puts you back where you would have been without the spacer under the arms. I will be using zero rates when I put the 52''s on the front but the leaf pack is thinner than that of my current tuff countries /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. Not too familiar with the first gen aspect of this, but the engine crossmember should be in front of the draglink on yours right /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif?... I had to cut mine out and replace it but my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is an '87 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Get me a measurement of your current leaf pack and I'll see how it will fit (or if I can remember I will just give you a number from the axle tube to the bottom of the draglink to go off of.) And yes it is WAY easy to align now. BTW why the zero rates? Plans for something bigger?

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Aaron,

There are subtle differences in the 1st gen frame that can cause some weeds to pop up in your "crossover steering" garden /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif... if you know what I mean.

Having worked on Rob's (therobzilla) crossover setup recently, I learned a few things.
    - First off, you won't have the crossmember clearance issues that a 2nd gen has.
    - But.... you could have contact between the harmonic balancer and the draglink if your front end flexes good.
    - If you plan on getting both the tie rod and drag link above the springs, it can be tricky.
    - If you want to leave your tie rod below the springs, most all the clearance issues go away - and yes you could do this with a straight drag link and the SuperLift #1104 pitman arm.

I think the big difference that we noticed was that the steering box seems to be farther forward on a 2nd gen than a 1st gen. So, the sweep of the pitman arm/drag link can interfere with the arc of the tie rod.

Hope this helps...

Marv

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK cool, So if I don't do hysteer I should be cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I didn't plan on doing that anyhow, But my concern was that I would max out the ends keeping the rod straight? If that makes sence?

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I don't think that maxing out the ends will be an issue so long as you are sure to use an arm that is tapered. Mine aren't /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but I still have plenty of angle left in them even when twisted up, we'll see what the 52''s with buggy springs have to say about that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif! Oh yeah and to correct what I said in my last post, the TIEROD was cutting it close on spring clearance, NOT the draglink /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. So as long as you aren't going histeer you should be in the clear but may need a spacer under the arm to counter the zero rates depending on current leaf pack thickness.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We can build a straight draglink but don't have any problems with the bent tube. We've never had one bend, and the alignment job isn't too big a deal, it doesn't have to happen very often since all you're doing is centering the steering wheel.
    If it makes you feel better we could bend you one from a stick of 1.5 x .375 wall DOM. You won't ever bend it, that's a burly piece of tube. I've used link arms built from 1.5 x .250 DOM with some serious bends in them with no problems so I'm not worried a bit about the 1.25 x .250 with a short, gently offset.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well I will probibly be giving you a call soon Stephen, so be prepared. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

hey aaron.i have x-over with zero rates...i ended up using a steering arm spacer from avalanche and went with the 5/8 stud kit they sell with it and all is well,we can get together if you wanna se it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

YA dude, even if I decide to go 60 I would still like to see it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Why would you be afraid of a bend in the tube? This guy oviously isn't: [​IMG] See you can run a bent draglink without any problems.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    -fLeXy K20

16. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You gotta send that picture to the scary steering web page.

Eric M.

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HOLY SHNIKIES!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I hate when people keep showing pics of my truck /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif............NOT!

19. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The brake lines are the bestest /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif