Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

x-over steering a good idea if...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Dec 4, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok, in the end I'll be running...

4" rancho springs up front + ORD 1" zero rates + HD shacks

ORD 4" shackle flip in back + ORD 1" zero rates + revolvers + slightly taller perches to cure saggy butt.

I have 35s and a 10bolt front now...but *eventually* will run a D60 front with 37s (on road) and 39.5s (off).

Considering this...should I go to a x-over steering set up or not? My stock steering box is a leaky mess so which ever way I go...I wanna head in that direction when I replace the box. At full droop steering sucks....but at the same time I have heard peeps say that x-over doesnt do much for you with so little lift...and that its hard to setup since the frame/springs/x-members etc are closer together with so little lift. =\ Any ideas/tips/info?

For that matter, does anyone have pics of a 10b front with x-over steering?

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

With what you are planning, YES do the crossover. There are quite a few of guys here with 4 and 5" lift that run crossover. I plan to do crossover with hydro assist in the near future and only have about 5" of lift.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i have a 4" lift with x over and i like it , i need to go to ramassist tho cuz sumtimes i can't steer in gnarly offroad maneuvers :) i am planning on making my own with a tractor steering ram , i think it will work well . i am running 35s

Kick It In The Firewall !!
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Cross over is good for any height lift, so do it.
    And you will have to buy revolvers used, since they no longer make them new for full size trucks anymore.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

5. jekbrown

6. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

well if he goes with the x steering before the lift wont the dimmension be diffrent after the lift? he might need some adjusting to the tie rod!

7. jekbrown

good point. The only added lift that is going on the front tho, is the lift from a set of ORD 1" zero rates and ORD HD shackles (add what? a quarter inch?) I already have the 4" spring lift installed. That shouldnt cause x-over a problem....should it? =\

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown