Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

x-over steering arm

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 84K5cedric, Jun 17, 2003.

1. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain to me or maybe post a picture explaining this blurb? I copied it from ORD's website...

[ QUOTE ]
    The Offroad Design D44 steering arm end is cut on an angle to correct for the kingpin axis inclination angle and keep the angle on the rod end minimized for best life of the joint and more vertical wheel travel without steering bind. We've attempted crossover steering systems using arms that aren't built with the angled end and the rod end was maxed out at ride height! No droop available at all. This is an essential feature for a properly built fully functional system.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Instead of your TRE being at a severe angle where it mounts on the "straigh-cut" steering arm, ORD has machined in an angle to their steering arm to reduce/eliminate angle of the TRE. Thus improving the TRE's longevity and improving "droop" in off-road situations. I'm sure there are other benifits and more detailed explanations, but that sums it up in a nut shell.

Lance

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

ok, so that would only affect the draglink right? so wouldn't the bend in the drag link help that?

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

To an extent, but the straight draglink is ideal.

5. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

I,M GOING TO MACHINE THE TOP OF MY KNUCKLE MY SELF AT WORK WITH A MILL. MY QUESTION IS CAN I JUST BOLT THE KNUCKLE DIRECTLY TO THE MILL BED AFTER REMOVING THE UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS? OR DOES THE KNUCKLE HAVE TO BE MILLED AT AN ANGLE? sorry about the caps just realized caps lock was on after i posted, my bad.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We cut them true to the ball joint centerline. That may or may not be true to the bottom of the casting.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That is exactly what i do, i even went so far as built a fixture to hold them true /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sageman

sageman Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    We cut them true to the ball joint centerline. That may or may not be true to the bottom of the casting.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you mean perpendicular to the axis of the ball joints? And is the ball joint axis paralel to the spindle mounting face?

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yes and no. How's that for concise.