Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-over steering issues on the street?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jms, Oct 16, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Mulling over crossover stering since it's probably time soon to get a new power steering gearbox for my Jimmy. Are there any issues with x-over on the street? I know it works well on the trails, and I haven't flexed out my truck to the extent that x-over would be a necessity (although next time out, I'll disconnect the swaybar, I promise!). But my truck sees a lot of street miles, so steering and handling is important to me. Anything along that line that I should be aware of? Thanks, michael

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my rig handled better after I went x-over both on and offroad. Everything just seemed to be firmed up... a LOT less slop. Of course, I installed a borgeson shaft, freshly rebuilt steering box, and wto hydro assist at the same time.. so that could be part of it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have put many miles on my rig around town since I have went crossover and there are no issues at all, I do notice though that the steering turns much sharper than before, I can make a U-turn on a normal width street now without doing a 3 point turn. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Crossover steering is "the cat's meow" for the street.

The only side effect is that you lose your ability to reconnect the front sway bar. This MIGHT be an issue for you depending on how soft you plan to make your front springs....but most people will gladly give up the sway bar for the improvements in bump steer (less) and better offroad steering too.

5. jms

Thanks for all the info, guys.
    I kinda like my swaybar, though. Front springs are 3"TC, so they are fairly soft to begin with. Not sure I would want to have the shocks dialed to firm all the time. Bump steer is not a big issue with the 2" drop pitman arm. Hmm....

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'd recommend leaving it alone, it seemed to work well and it lets you easily run your swaybar on the road which does make the truck more comfortable to ride in.
    The on road problems with crossover are the swaybar interference and a possible increase in bumpsteer. It might turn tighter but I'm not sure on that one in your case, I seem to be able to get all the available radius in my 'burb running the same suspension.

If you want to tinker with more stuff, you're probably to the point that body armor (bumpers basically) would be a good thing to mess with.
    Then on board air, winch and recovery gear, nice mounts so everything is secure and accessible, etc.
    And maybe then you could trim those fenders a bit too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

A question Stephen on the crossover steering/swaybar issue as well. Everything I've read so far says that if I go with crossover steering, the swaybar has to dissappear. I have a D60 I am rebuilding and was going to go with crossover at the same time, most likely your kit. From what everyone has said so far, the swaybar can't be re-installed due to interference. I'm also concerned with this since I do a lot of on road driving to get to my wheeling spots, usually with a full load of gear. What are my options? I have 6" TC EZ-Ride springs, your shackle flip in the rear, w/ 2" TC EZ-Ride springs (all ordered from you guys) and a Corp14ff being rebuilt going in. Is it physically impossible to put the swaybar back in when I install the D60? Can it be done but will it hit? Is there an aftermarket design that will work? Will disconnects work? Am I fretting over nothing? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Also, the 76 I just bought (selling the two 74's) came with a rear swaybar. Could I put a rear swaybar on the Corp14ff when it goes in and would that help if I leave off the front swaybar?

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Stephen is the expert here, but here is my .02. The swaybar is a non-issue. After installing a D60/14B & a 6" lift on my '90 Jimmy, the steering could best be described a "squirley." I opted to go to crossover steering and loosing the swaybar. As the others have said, the steering is now quite tight and it will turn much shaprer. As for the swaybar, it is something that you will notice at first, and unless you are inclined to do highspeed turns in a lifted K5, you won't miss it.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just 1 thing to add... the value of a sway bar depends a lot on the springs/shocks you are using. If you are running super loosey-goosey 200lbs/in springs etc you might really appreciate a swaybar onroad.

with my might-as-well-be-welded-to-the-frame ranchos... I didnt notice any difference when i removed the antisway bar...

j

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I was thinking of going adjustable shocks so I could firm them up for highway use if I dump the swaybar. Looks like this is the fix for most.

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I should have added that I run 9012's w/in cab remote and around town just firm them up a little and it is no big deal.

12. jms

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd recommend leaving it alone, it seemed to work well and it lets you easily run your swaybar on the road which does make the truck more comfortable to ride in.
    The on road problems with crossover are the swaybar interference and a possible increase in bumpsteer. It might turn tighter but I'm not sure on that one in your case, I seem to be able to get all the available radius in my 'burb running the same suspension.

If you want to tinker with more stuff, you're probably to the point that body armor (bumpers basically) would be a good thing to mess with.
    Then on board air, winch and recovery gear, nice mounts so everything is secure and accessible, etc.
    And maybe then you could trim those fenders a bit too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TC 3" front springs and no sway bar doesn't sound too good, and you're right, I haven't had turning issues. But there's a bit slop in the steering, probably in the box, so if I have to replace the box, it got me thinking about x-over. Speaking of bumpers, how's that bumper production project coming along? I'm thinking of something where a winch could be mounted between the frame rails; since I've had some cooling issues I don't want to have airflow obstruction for the radiator. Right now I'm building a seat mount for a Mastercraft seat for my Passenger, and then, I PROMISE, I will cut the fenders. I remember very well being scolded for not using the swaybar disconnects on Yellow Hill /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've considered the crossover setup for my 'burb too but can't come up with a real good reason to fix what isn't broken. And, I have other things to tinker with so messing with it for the sake of messing with it is not what I'm after.

The bumper project is coming along, we're working on jigging everything up now so we get production bumper quality and fit.

I've seen the winch mounted under the rad. on a couple of trucks but it typically requires a body lift or a clearance compromise and is really hard to access if you have winch line problems. I think the cooling problems (which is probably only a problem in a system with little to no reserve cooling capacity) could be mitigated somewhat by using a remote solenoid winch, that way there's less in the way up front. We could look at moving the winch back farther but it's pretty much right against the grill now so moving back would involve cutting the grill out which a lot of people are probably not willing to do.

Those fenders are about ready I think.

14. jms

[ QUOTE ]

Those fenders are about ready I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Passenger disagrees, very much so. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I may have to do the testosterone thing on this one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, got the second Mastercraft seat today. This is the deeper Pro race seat; I got it with a removable cushion that I had made about 2 inches lower, feels really good and solves the problem with the headrest being too low for me. The seat I had at BB'03 is a Pre-Run with lower sides; happens to fit the Passenger perfectly.

Maybe I'll do the fenders when she's travelling.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif