Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

x-over steering kits

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Apr 3, 2007.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Anybody out there know where I could find a complete crossover steering kit? One that includes the knuckles. Or does one even exist? It will be for a 3/4 ton 10blt. Any help would be great. Also has anybody tried going full hydrolic steering on a 10blt? Any experiences would be great. THANKS

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you need crossover/hydro, you might want to consider upgrading that 10b.

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cbbr you are refering to the hydro part and not the x-over part correct?

Reason I ask is b/c x-over would be useful just b/c of the amount of lift...like me...I'm on 8" of lift and still running a 3/4 ton 10b which is more than enough axle for what I do yet I still could benefit from x-over. iono I just didn't see the correlation between x-over and having to go d60.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

1/2ton and 3/4ton 10b are the same, no strength difference. i think he was referring to the hydro part. if you are going to actually need hydro steering, chances are your tires are going to be over the limit of a 10b. even hydro assist for that matter.

5. cbbr

Really either. Hydro and Crossover are both for rigs with big lifts and big tires that are used offroad. A 10blt is not. It may work for a while, and yes we have this debate all of the time, but it is really not designed for a rig that needs crossover or hydro IMO.

6. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I have an 81 k10 sub with 3" lift in front and 4" lift in back. Running 34x10.5 tires. The rear is a 14blt ff the front is a 10blt 3/4 ton. The front is open diff. I can't afford a d60. So you guys don't think I need to change to cross-over steering? I will be putting in a locker sometime in the front. Well should I even do the convertion? I just thought it couldn't hurt but if it is not worth the money, let me know your opinions. THANKS

7. muddybuddy

id stay away from a locker in the 10b. really if u want a front locker you really should get a 60. 10b locker + big tires = lots of broken shafts. save that money for a d60. with only 3" lift up front stock steering is fine. you cant do cross-over without at least 4" lift i believe. you would end up spending a ton of money to get the flat top knuckle and getting it machined plus the arms. better off keeping what you got now and save up for a 60. then get cross-over and a locker

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

parts mike has everything

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Fixed it for ya

10. cbbr

Yep. But there are not that many of those rigs that have the perfect combo of a low COG and lots of flex. I'm working on that now...

11. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If your truck flexes good and you want to be able to turn while on the trail you need X-over, even if you are just running 35's and 4 " lift.
    Don't go Hydro without X-over, if you are flexed out the hydro would tear your stock steering apart.

12. 1977k5

Back when I had push/pull steering, my 4" BDS springs would flex enough that when flexed out and at full crank left, the tires were still pointed a little to the right. Crossover made it so the truck turned perfectly both ways, I didn't even notice a difference with the truck flexed out or not.

BTW, I plan on dropping the suspension ~2" and having significantly more flex than I have now later this spring. Even with the truck only a couple inches over stock I would never be able to run anything other than full hydro or crossover.

I think that crossover is more important on a flexy suspension than a tall one. 8" lift and over shouldn't even consider push/pull steering, IMO.

13. muddybuddy

if you are only going to have ~2" lift i dont think ull be able to run cross-over. your best bet would be full hydro:D

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

15. 1977k5

We'll see. It is going to be close especially since I am moving the front axle 3" forward. I will probably end up with almost no uptravel via bumpstops.

16. Stump-a-holic

Stump-a-holic Registered Member

Do they not have it in kit form? Or am I just a numb skull :doah: and cant find the kit on their site?

17. 83L98blazer

83L98blazer Registered Member

I can't find it either. Has anyone purchased a x over kit from diy4x?