Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-over steering question - anti-roll bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lobo2055, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Lobo2055

Lobo2055 Registered Member

I'm looking at doing the change to cross over steering but I have a couple of questions about it.

1) It looks like you loose your anti roll bar when you put the system on. Is this true, is there a way to do something else for it?

2) What's the benifit of going with the straight drag link. It looks like this would increase the opperating angle of the draglink ends. Wouldn't that cause them to were out prematurely? They're not at as much of an angle with a bent drag link. Is the straight drag link just better for the high-steer set up?

OK, I think that's all I got for now. Any input?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I personaly have seen no other way but to ditch the sway bar. I know a few guys who run the Rancho 9000's and put them on the stiffest setting when on the road to help with the body roll.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

1. Yes, you lose the sway bar. No, there's not anything you can really do about it, but most people don't ever miss the sway bar.
    2. The benefit of a straight draglink is the ability to make adjustments without removing the draglink ends. You can simply loosen the locknuts and turn the draglink to adjust it. With a bent one, you have to remove one of the ends and then turn it. Yes, the ends will live a longer life with a bent draglink. I choose to have a straight one, however.
    -- Mike

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

A straight draglink will come into contact with the crossmember under the engine. That's why they make bent ones.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a "bent" draglink and can still adjust the steering without removing either end.....there is enough room for the bar to rotate freely under the oil pan.

Not sure if that's ALWAYS the case, but I've only got a 4" spring and that would seem to be one of the "worst case" scenarios. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I personally don't runn an anti-sway bar, but I recently spent countless hours trying to convince my cousin to go with Xover when he put in his D60 front. He went back with crappy steering citing keeping his sway bar as the # 1 reason. He said ORD makes some sort of kit, but it kills approach angle. I got to looking at it the other day and it seems that you could pretty easily leave the sway bar in its factory location and fab some links to go down to the spring plates.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A straight draglink will come into contact with the crossmember under the engine. That's why they make bent ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't always true. I run a straight drag link and do not have interference problems with the crossmember. I run a straight one because I don't like the idea of running something that is already bent that I really don't want to ever bend. But that is just my personal preference.