Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X over Steering Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was at a local Fab shop today and was looking at a heep they had sitting there. The Xover steering arms on there had heim joiints and on the rt side knuckle they just doubled it up. one on top of the knuckle and one on the bottom using the same hole. Why dont we do that on ours? why do we use the flat top knuckle?

Just asking.

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Can you snap a picture of it and post it up for us to see?

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Heims wear out very fast compared to OEM style ends.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

If you tried to use a x over draglink straight to the knuckle on top of where the tie rod goes you would have to remove your leaf spring. Was this Jeep spring under? The reason you have to get an arm is to get the dragling above the springs.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I know what he means by doubled up. Two heims sharing the same bolt and mounting hole. When force hits the draglink to push the arm one way, the tierod will be pulling in the other direction. This is just as bad or worse as a single shear/single heim setup. Gonna hog out your mounting holes in no time. Not a good way to do things IMO. Any good engineer could look at a single shear setup like that and tell you that those holes are gonna hog out over time. Having them stacked twice as high puts even more stress on the bolt and mounting hole, double! Force * Distance...

I'll take a good ole tapered TRE or DLE myself. Much more longevity.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Heims suck on anything that is going to get road use.

Harley

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the reason it works is either the jeep is spring under or coils. spring over leaves interfere with the drag link when it is mounted to the tierod mount. I also agree with everyone else in that that setup is going to wear out. and if that single bolt fails not only will you not be able to steer but the front tires will not even point in the same direction. That could be really bad on the road.