Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-over steering. ??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, May 7, 2005.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I'm replacing the ball joints and having the knuckle machined.
    I have a 73 2 wheel drive steer box, do the box's interchange between the 1st and 2nd gen's?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe they do. You just have to watch out for newer trucks like above 89 some of the steering boxes are metric fittings.?
    I looked at my steering box and walked around the junkyard, found a 2wd version that looked the same out of a 77 or 79 chevy truck. It swapped right in, the only thing that was not the same was the rag joint.
    The rag joint diameter where it bolts onto the splines of the steering box are bigger for the 4wd and smaller on a 2wd box. Be sure you grab a 2wd rag joint with the steering box so everything bolts right up.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have the pump and lines to go with the box, looks like I need to get a rag joint now. Should be easy enough to get one.

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Pull the sector shafts and compare. Might be able to just swap out the sector from one box to the other.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

you can, that's what I did with mine, My rag joint blew so I replaced it with a ujoint. then did the crossover but the input on the new box was different.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

They interchange, like said above. Mines off a 76.