Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

X-TERRAIN vs. MT-R

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79 blazer, Apr 19, 2004.

1. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

what tire does everyone think is better for an-all pourpose(daily driving and extreme offroad) use? i will be buying new tires soon and have narrowed it down to theese two. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I like the pro comp. The Mickeys like to hydroplane too easy. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've never owned either tire but I know that the Procomps are a softer compound tire and will wear faster on the street. I personally would go with the Goodyears, they perform very well off and on-road... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

MTRs, Xterrians have been known to ball up when in mud. Procomp are geared more towards rocks and sand. MTR is the best all around tire rather then the MTR.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    MTR is the best all around tire rather then the MTR.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Interesting... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have the pro comp mts and I love them, they never get filled with mud or anything and I cant tell that they are wearing at all on the street. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Don't know where you wheel (hint -> fill out profile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    but 80% of the rigs out here in AZ run MTR's (jeeps, trucks, zukis, ect) I have run two sets now and turned a BFG man into a believer (aka harley).

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I was/am a BFG man but I do believe in the MTR's now. I still like my BFG AT's that are on my Jeep but the MTR's are pretty sweet tires. They have worked pretty well on my truck. It is mostly a DD for now but soon I will be getting it offroad again. The MTR's do great on the street and they do good offroad too.

A friend of mine has the Procomps and he likes them but he is switching to the MTR's too if that tells you anything.

Harley

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

My opinion:
    MTRs are great tires.
    I've had 3 flats (2 selfinduced and one because I was running 3lbs of pressure and hit a rock going around 40mph) I've beat on these tires and I'm quite happy with them. Get them from DIscount Tire and get the road hazard warranty. Get them in the biggest tire you can afford too (that's my only regret, I wish I had the 40inch mtrs).

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Having BOTH at the moment, I vote for the MTR's. I have the 35x12.50R15 on my Blazer for hauling ass to denver, doing burnouts and trying to lift my front tires off the ground. My MTRs are trial 37s and are trial tires at the moment but as soon as the ProCOmps are bald, the MTRs are gonna see the street use. IN all honesty, the MTRs handle better (even though they are bigger), look better and wear better. At low speeds (15mph and less, they are quieter than the Xterrains, but at higher speed I can't tell the difference.
    \
    I jumped on the Procomp wagon like 2 years ago and did the buy three get one free deal from 4wpw. They are a decent tire but pale in comparison to the MTR.

Chris