Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

xfer case reuilders....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Dec 14, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever done this on a 241? What all is involved? Is it really complicated, and what, if any special tools are needed?

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Not a biggie on the 241. I just grenaded mine to install a different input gear for the TH400 tranny swap I'm doing (OH JOY, NO MORE 700R4!!!). Be careful when you seperate the case halves that you watch where things are as its coming apart and note where they go and more importantly, HOW they go! These things really aren't all that complicated. A 203 transfer is worse, as is an auto tranny!!

ken

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

On the input gear for the 400 swap, was it hard to come across the gear, or did you order the conversion kit from Advance adapters? And let me get your opinion on the rumor that I've heard that 400's waste alot of the engine power, due to the lack of lockup. I'm in the delima that once my tranny goes, I want to know what Im going to do before hand.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Turbo 400's don't waste much power because of the torque converter not locking. They just use a lot to run the tranny internals. I read an article in a hot rod mag a few years ago that listed the power loss for different auto trannies. The Turbo 400 had the greatest power loss, at about 65 HP!!! Most of the other auto trannies came in at the 40-45 HP loss range. But the Turbo 400 is also damn near indestructable.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

As long as you get a converter stall speed of an RPM of lower than what you cruise around at, the converter will be 1:1, or locked up, anyways. Something on the order of 1200-2000 RPM stall. As for the input gear, I had to bite the big one and order it from Parts Mike, who got it for me for $142. I already had the adapter, which was pirated from a 1985 NP208/TH400 combo (the adapter for 208 and 241 are the same, although 6 bolt to the TH400, and 4 bolt to the TH350 or TH700 trannys).

ken

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

My only other questions are: Would it behoove me to go ahead and replace all the seals and bearings in the t-case instead of just replacing the rear seal?
    AN I do have a slight groove in the slip yoke. Not real bad, but I'd like to go ahead and replace it. Where can I get one other that the GM dealer? Well, besides the junkyard too. IS there any place to get a new one other than the dealer?

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, my 241 has 224,000 miles on it and all its getting is seals!! It was unbelieveable clean inside. You may consider the chain though, depending on how much 4WD its seen in its life.

I bet they make a "speedy sleeve" that would fit over your slip yoke, thereby repairing the groove. Would be MUCH CHEAPER than a new one.

ken

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I just found one at napa online. But its called a
    "speedi sleeve seal" for 241c NP for 39.49.

Do you think this is what your talking about. This sounds like a seal, and not a sleeve that slips over the slip yoke shaft.

10. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I bet thats the one you need.

ken

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

New from Chevy at least $100.

ken

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, it looks like I'll be getting the rebuild kit and chain from Standard Transmission and gear for $170 duckets, and then I'll get me one of them there speedi sleeves for another 40 bones, and I should be set for a total of est. $220, plus tranny fluid. Now <font color=red>KEN!</font color=red>, you never told me if I need any special tools or not. I've got the haynes manual, but it don;t have my 241 in it. It does have the 208, I know they are very similar.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: "As long as you get a converter stall speed of an RPM of lower than what you cruise around at, the converter will be 1:1, or locked up, anyways."

That's not quite how it works. You can't acheive a true 1:1 drive ratio through a fluid coupling. That's why lockup torque converters were invented. Without some type of mechanical coupling you get a 200-300 rpm slip at crusing speed through the torque converter. The stall speed of the converter in a truck 700r4 is around 1500-1800 rpm, yet you can watch the tach drop when the lockup mechanism engages.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

They are similar, but just a bit different. If you question your mechanical abilities, get a good manual on the 241. If you figure you can tackle most anything (like me), open that sucker up!!! That's what I did and was not suprised by anything, and nothing came flying out that I didn't know where it went. Just be sure to slowly split the case halves and peer inside when you have it open 1", then 2", then 3" to see just whats what, and where things are. The only special tools you need (which I didn't even use) is a snap ring pliers, but you can fish them (snap rings) out with a couple of small flat head screwdrivers like I did. Proceed with caution, and grenade that thing!!! Good luck!!

ken

16. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Why is everyone wanting to do away with the 700R4 it is a truly awesome transmission. Just throw a shift kit and good filter in it, a can of trans-x and watch it go a couple of hundred thousand before rebuild.

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

While I do love the Titans, TITAN, have you read all the previous post for this post? We are talking about rebuilding a transfer case here. And what ever else may have relevance to this coversation. We're not bashing 700's here.