Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

XM Radio, who's using it, what do you think about it

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Nonesuch, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

XM Radio, who\'s using it, what do you think about it

I was wonderign if anyones using, has used or has any knowledge of XM raido. I have been considering going with it in the Blazer but am concerned about reception during bad weather. Also, do the units pick up local stations as well?
    I tried the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.xmradio.com>XMradio.com</a> website but it didnt have much info. any help is appreciated!
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: XM Radio, who\'s using it, what do you think about it

My dad put XM in his escalade and i all i have to say is get it, it sounds great and it hardly ever cuts out unless you goin under over passes or you are in an area with a lot of high rise buildings, but i think they might have that handled by now since they put up a lot of of terrestial repeaters, if you can see if you can find somewhere to get a demo on a good stereo system, the quality is CD quality

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

cool thanks for the info!
    Justin

4. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

I am really into the idea, except that you dont still get local stations. I think they should bouild a head unit that lets you chose between FM, XM, CD... Then I would do it for sure...
    Ike

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

That's why you get a head unit that is an XM radio controller and get the external XM tuner. Then you get the best of both worlds.

6. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I am about to get it and it is awesome. There about 100 channels now and they will be adding more. Now I just have to find a place to locate everything.

7. im_2gr82h8

im_2gr82h8 Registered Member

when you use xm it just adds an extra "band" of radio. so you DO still get your local chanels. I sell them, (and have one) and teh only problem with reception is when your a moron and put the anrenna inside the car. (still works, but not on densily covered roads) and for some reason police radios kill the reception. So if your driving by a cop who has some one pulled over and is talking on his radio, it might cut out, or stutter.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Wait for Sirius we have the XM in our store and they still have comericials like a regular radio station. All of Sirius is going ot be comericial FREE and they will have more music to choose from for like 2.00 more a month

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Is the music censored or is it still all that radio edit BS.

10. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Actually the only "commercials" I have heard are basically the call sign of the channel you are listening to. They are unedited so no radio crap, they are a pay service so the FCC has different regs for them.
    Also Sirius is not off the ground yet (no pun intedned). They are still not ready and I have heard they may not be. There are several mfg that are supporting them, all the new Kenwood stuff has built Sirrus support. But why wait for a service that is not here and is having some trouble when there is a service out there that is operational and kicks ass.
    Go to Best Buy, Circuit City or other place that handles XM and listen to it yourself, you will not be able to hear certain channels due to the content, but it is very cool. Ethel (chnl 34) kicks major ass.

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Sirius is up an d running in a select group of citys and for my rural area of NM XM is continually loosing its coverage. The reason Sirius is not up in the enire US is because they are trying to avoid the problems of lost coverage that XM is getting now. Sirius owns there own satelites which XM does not so that is another adavantage since the lease rates for satelite service with XM can change and so will your rates.

12. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Sirius has no more channels than XM, they just have them numbered higher, they only have 50 music and 50 other channels. Look at the non-music channels carried by XM versus Sirius.
    XM - Black Entertainment Television; Bloomberg News Radio; C-SPAN Radio; CNN/fn; CNN/Sports Illustrated; The Weather Channel; One-on-one Sports; USA Today; BBC World Service; PBS's News Hour with Jim Lehrer; Johnathan Schwartz.

Sirius - National Public Radio; Bloomberg News Radio; Sports Byline USA; SpeedVision; OutdoorLife; C-SPAN Radio

There are more options to the XM and I am a firm beleiver in the first one to get the market share will be the industry leader, just ask the makers of the Playstation (out before N64), Soundblaster sound cards, IBM. Being first gets you a huge market share and it is very hard to convert those already equiped.
    Once Sirius is out I may change my tune, but for now and at the pace everything is going, XM is the lead horse.