Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Xterras --- Good, Bad, Ugly?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Stoopalini, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine is going to be getting an Xterra, and I am looking for any info I can find. I searched the net for Xterra foums, but most of the talk is about modifiying them, and not really how they are from the factory.

Anyone own one? Or know about the different options available? Is the super charged version more problems than it is worth?

Basically, I'm trying to gather as much info on these as I can, to help her make more of an informed decision as to which model and features to get.

Thanks,

Thomas.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

My aunt and uncle have a first generation X-terra 4x2 with a v6. I haven't driven it much, but from what I can tell their pretty good vehicles. It's actually suprizingly faster than I expected, they also have a very tight turning radius. Good luck to your friend.

3. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

four wheeler magizine recently did a comparison of the xterra and the jeep liberty. they were both in stock form. hope this helps

4. Stoopalini

Great! I'll check out the article. She did mention something about the Jeep Liberty also, so that article should be perfect.

Thanks guys,

Thomas.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Dont wast your time with the supercharger. It's set up to run on 91 octane and is only rated at 210 hp. Would your friend be willing to pay extra at the pump for a couple extra ponies? The normally asperated V6 is conciderd one of the best V6's on the market and your friend would probably be happy with it.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Seems like a solid platform, reasonably priced, decent size tires(31's I think) and decent ground clearance.

7. Stoopalini

I agree. I've seen a few of them wheeling out on the trail, and they seem to do very well. The supercharged version seems to have a much easier time with crawling and climbing too.

My friend isn't a hardcore wheeler, although she does love to ride along with me in my Blazer. She just needs something big enough to carry her 2 dogs around and capable for some light wheeling; she also really likes the way they look.

Gonna be going on some test drives here in the next week or two, so we'll see what she thinks.

Thomas.

8. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

my girlfriend has had one for a little over a yaer and has put about 25k miles on it. she has the SE 4x4 fully loaded. hasn't had a problem with it at all. she likes it, but i think that they are a little under powered and the new super charger doesn't really fix that. they got a decent amount of room in them too, and the price is good.