Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Xtra HD Front Bumper/Grill Guard

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prairie, Jan 23, 2007.

1. prairie

prairie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

price was qouted as $859.00 FOB Hyannis NE for the Sandhills Bodyguard front bumper/grill guard.
    Is extra heavy duty constuction and finished in bedliner coating.
    From the phone conversation I had, a reciever hitch tube is standard but not pictured.
    I asked about winch mounts, and was told that most are mounting the winch to a receiver insert and welding on a couple of support attachments on either side of the bumper. That way the winch could be moved between the front and back. Something I've always thought would work well but never pursued.

Check It Out
    http://www.cowcountrysales.com/grill_guards.htm#shbg

"Sandhills Body Guard"

[​IMG]

If you have ever hit a deer or cow, or seen someone that had, then you know the damage that can be done. The "Sandhills Body Guard" is the complete bumper and grill guard that will take the blow and still allow you to continue on down the road. The bumper is made of 3/16" steel that is bent in 3 different angles for added strength. The the outside frame is constructed of 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" 14 ga tubing and then expanded metal is welded in to protect your truck from birds and such. After construction we have the guards covered with bed liner front and back. Clean up from bug juice is as easy as using the pressure washer. We have several patterns for most pickups please call for prices.

[​IMG]

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Seems to be very farm friendly. Not that offroad friendly.

It is still a nice looking piece for that type of vehicle.

3. prairie

You are right. Weight is 277 lbs. I'm sure weight could be reduced without comprimising strength and the protection the design provides.

4. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks good for pushing around cattle:D . But not for a vehicle that gets wheeled.

Looking around their website I found that they actually sell the little Bongo type trucksl:haha: :haha: I used to play around with those when I lived in Japan. I told my wife I was going to bring one back with me and put standard size tires on it and have a mini monster truck.:D :haha:

Z

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks good for pushing around Honda's too.:D

6. prairie

Guess the original post should have probably been in the Tow Rig section.
    Was actually looking at the bumper for my 2005 Ford F550 4x4. Need something to protect the grill and radiators from damage. The grill is already cracked from bumping a cow butt, and the radiators are taking beating from corn stalks and brush.
    It has a 11 1/2 foot HydraBed Bale Handler, which we use for transporting and feeding large round bales of hay. Was surprised, even with highway tires and duals, at how well it get around in our pastures and fields under mud and snow conditions last winter.
    This year I singled out the rear tires and put on Goodyear G124(?) tires, the most agressive road legal tire, I could find in the 19.5" size. Have yet to put it to a real test this winter though.
    Also use it in our seed business during the Spring and Fall planting seasons. Can carry over 9,000 lbs payload on the bed, and up to 21,500 lbs on the 25' tandem dually flatbed trailer.
    Is an excellent truck for our needs.
    My new purchase is an eventual play toy. An 86 Chevy 1 ton pickup, 454/TH400/205/D60 front /14FF rear. Have about $1100 in ORD parts waiting in the garage that will get me started, but thats another story.

7. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

go to the Off Road Design link and look at there bumpers and a testimional about a guy hit 2 elk in Alaska.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy crap. desiel + that bumper + big winch with steel cable = truck doing hand stands. :shocked:

j

9. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

I want one of those JAP MINI TRUCKS! ! ! ! Those are cool looking ! !

as for the bumper...remind me not to get in your way on the hiway! That thing is a BEAST!

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks like a BBQ bolted to the front of the truck.....good if you hit a cow, I suppose. Just add charcoal and a match!

Seriously, 14GA metal is going to stop a cow or deer? Not likely....there will still be plenty of front end damage even with that BBQ mounted there.

11. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

On a tangent the weight and styling of that bumper is kinda close to the arb bull bars. Why does everyone(present company excluded) want the arb's for their rig if they weigh so much and share some design with this one???

-Alex

12. TimeWarp

TimeWarp Registered Member

It would be look nice in front of the fireplace.