Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Xtreme 4x4, again...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 24, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Apparently Jesse is an auto body chick not auto tech(some odd reason I just thought she was).

and WTF ARE THEY DOING WITH THAT FRONT AXLE???? Its a HIgh Pinion Ford 60, they have a bunch of stupid ass knuckle and outer pieces that are a huge waste IMO. They have Crane knuckles(awesome) but they have some Dynarape Unit Bearing elimination outers(why not just stock Ford kingpin outers??) that had to be custom made to match the kingpin knuckles. Then they use rotors and calipers off of some new Dodge... because they wanted 2 piston calipers.... the Ford had that stock... I really wish I knew what was going on here.

Also love yet another "safe practice" on the show. They just cranked the rear disc brake brackets down with an impact. Those are one of the things I would actually hit with a torque wrench myself. Haven't installed a rear disc setup, am I stupid to think he should have torqued those bolts? I did install the brackets on my 14 bolt once and the bolts were really tight the whole way, but a quick thread cleaning and that should be taken care of.

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I think you need a hobby :rolleyes:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have one, its just 300 some miles away....

yeah I know, I'm sad sitting around doing nothing but watch tv and go online, but its relaxing to me, and I rarely get a relaxing weekend anymore.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

At least you were paying attention to the rigs, I was just paying attention to jesse :wink1:

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Eh, I feel pretty much the same way. The more I learn about the sport, the more I realize how horribly complicated and stupid some people choose to make things. What if somehow, something in that axle breaks? There's almost nothing in there that's a factory piece anymore. So you bust on the trail, limp it home, and a new part is a month out. Why not stick with the things that work. I can lock up 40's in front with GM single piston calipers on my lardass truck, ya can't tell me that new dodge calipers and rotors are needed on that rock buggy. Trick, sure...ridiculous...that too.

Whatever, it's their rig, I'd do a lot of things differently but they have the freebies and the TV show.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have dual pistons on my Ford axle, and have contacted Wilwood about upgrades to bigger brakes. They are just cool, and brake power is almost always a nice thing. Wilwood never got back to me mind you, but the replacement parts is a big time thing to think about. Like you said, their machine.