Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Xtreme 4x4 cams

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SLC11, Apr 16, 2000.

1. SLC11

SLC11 Newbie

Thinking of using Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4.P/N 12-231-2
    I use my Blazer for work and back,4x4ing and towing my
    fathers coachman around. I'm looking for good idle and
    decent MPG.Has anyone used these cams or have any
    another ideas. 350eng 350turbo 12-bolt373 gears
    31-1050 tires

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

becareful on two large of a cam. get something with a 112 degrees or more. They are vacuum friendly cams(power steering,brakes and so on. Also be sure to get a cam that makes power where you want it. It sounds like you want torque for playing and pulling.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

3. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I talked extensivly with CompCams Tech line and they suggested for my motor part number 235-12 (i think that's it) I told them I had to be able to get up to 70 fast cuase of the interstate and stuff and I wanted good off the line power. Well I think the cam is OKAY. It wasn't what I expected really though.. Oh well. My friend that put it in for me said it looked like a stock cam. I completely redid the motor .030 over and stuff. Don't get me wrong I love my new engine but the guy overhyped the cam I think.

Just my .02 cents

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

4. red450ih

red450ih 1/2 ton status

I would use a 252 Comp Cams p/n 12-205-2. It's range is 800 to 4800 RPM. This is a good all around cam and I will probably use it in my next engine I build. Just my opinion.

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I can't remember the advertised duration of my cam, but its the Extreme Energy one with .447/.454 lift. I bought it before they came out with the 4x4 ones. The RPM range is 1000-5200. I love it.
    I've got no emissions, dual exhaust, Edelbrock carb and intake, Cloyes double roller timing chain, Comp cams pushrods, L31 Vortec heads, etc. Its really fun to drive. Not a lopey idle or anything like that. Just a good set up for my heavy old Blazer. Try it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Are any of these considered RV cams? Thats what I installed in mine (327 .060 over, flat tops, 1.94 valves) and it is strong but no where near what I expected. I am thinking about swapping it for something a little more agressive... I dont know a thing about cams so Im reading all these replies with great interest!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I talked to as many folks as possible before I bought my cam. Everyone I talked to kind of dissed on "RV" cams, saying they were too close to stock to do any good. Do you really drive your Blazer like an RV? No way. Thats why I went with a more aggresive one. With a 327 like yours, you should notice a big improvement with a good cam.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, thats what I figured... the thing even idles like stock. Any suggestions of a good cam that would perk it up the way it should run? I dont know much about the numbers (lift and duration etc) so if anyone has a brand and part # that would be great.
    Sorry to take away from the original poster, but I hope this info will help you too!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Go to the CompCams website and see what their number is. Its something like 1-800-CAM-HELP I think. Anyways they'll ask you a ton of questions about your truck and engine and then they'll recommend a couple of cams. Just be sure to be honest with them. Don't build a motor for 7000 RPM if you're never going to use it like that. Tell them what you've done to the 327 already and what gears/tires the Blazer has, how you drive it, etc. They can help quite a bit. Some of the techs at Jegs might be able to help out too. I'm positive the Jegs number is 800-345-4545.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status