Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Y-pipe vs X-pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i know why x-pipes are good, but would you get the same balancing effect with a y pipe? assuming that the outlet is big enough.not like the crappy ones on factory truck im switching my dual exhaust to a single... 2.5" pipes out the headers, into a compact Y-merge with a 3" outlet, into 3" muffler. would this setup gain any of the pro's of a true dual with an x?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

If you can make the tube from the collectors to the y the same length, then it can be just as helpfull as an x pipe. Most x pipe setups center the x-pipe under the vehicle, so you get equal length pipes to the x. But y setups generally make one hed pipe longer than the other. Not really a big deal unless you are looking for every little hp you can get.

You probably won't gain anything, but you probably won't lose anything either, except for the weight of the other muffler and pipe.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

imo "x" pipes sound funny, single exhaust sounds best.

also "x" pipe would be in the way to work around & have to hang low under the truck. u could put it behind the t case, but i think u would loose some of the efect. just my opinion

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

single exhaust sound best!?!? :screwy: :haha:

true duels offer the best sound out of any exhuast system.

If you want to balance your duels, you can put in an H-pipe. Summit sells a H-pipe kit for like $30. Really easy to install too.

Actually I take back that true duels sound best, open headers sound best :D :bow:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

an H pipe is nowhere near comparable to an X pipe, or a Y pipe for that matter. something about 2 90* tees in the exhaust that just doesnt jive with me when you're talking about high flow. true duals do sound best, if you're a tobacco spittin, no teeth havin, mullet wearin hillbilly. most of us prefer the more refined sound of a properly built exhaust system.

a good X pipe system will more times than not out perform a set of open headers too.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

didn't mean to ruffel your feathers, or start a debate. just my $.02 i should have kept my opinions to myself.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry I should have added that a X-pipe system is the best flowing and you'd get the best performance out of it as compared to all other options.

Also I resent that coment about true duels = red neck hill billy :rotfl: :rotfl:

I said open headrs because they are extremely loud :p: :ears:
    even though they offer little to no scavenging

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

this is on my 65 2wd, so no t-case to worry about. but an x pipe would get in the way tho.
    anyhow, im not really wondering what would be better, since an x isnt even an option. i have "true duals" going thru illegally loud bullet race mufflers right now. sounds awesome, but since im down to one truck, i gotta make this one a little more cop friendly. i stick out like a sore thumb in the new town i moved to.

i have a 3" flowmaster from my blazer, and i figured since i had to quiet the truck down anyway, i'd do something different. just thinking i might actually be getting better flow thru this system compared to the old setup. they wont be equal length to the y, since i'm gonna run the pipe down one side. but it will have 12-18" of straight pipe off the header then 45's on the driver side to get them together.