Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YADHP -- Yet another darn header post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Feb 13, 2004.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm getting ready to order some headers for the 85 K5 and want to make sure that I am buying the best product for the money available to me for this particular item. I cannot afford Thorley headers at this time. Sorry. I realize that they are the best thing since sliced bread and polyester leisure suits, but they cost double the maximum that I am willing to spend right now.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The headers I have been looking at are:
    <ul type="square">[*]Hedman painted or ceramic
    [*]Dynomax painted or ceramic
    [*]Flowtech Afterburner painted or ceramic
    [/list]
    Of those, which is the best quality? I am not getting headers with AIR plumbing as I am doing away with that part of the smog setup. We don't do visual inspections under the hood in my state and I want to make sure that I can gas as many tree-huggers to death as possible. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Your input is greatly appreciated. I've found CK5 to be a tremendous source of hands-on knowledge in the past and trust that you won't let me down this time either.

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've got the Afterburner headers on my Suburban and they are still holding up after over 25k miles. I got them when someone told me that they sounded a little smoother than others due to the one primary leading into the side of the collector. Flowtech claims more HP but I doubt it. After a few years with them I really like the sound and they fit perfect right out of the box. The only modifications I've made is to cut the manifold flanges to keep the gaskets from leaking. No leaks after I trimmed the flanges and installed the soft copper collector gaskets.

Next time I'm not gonna be a cheapskate, I'm getting the coated ones since the painted ones looked like crap as soon as I ran the engine for a few minutes. I usually don't care what it looks like under the hood but eight rusty tubes on the sides of the block really looks like crap.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a feeling almost all of those you listed are going to be pretty equal in construction. The one thing that sold me on the Hedmans over the others was the collector flanges, which aren't the leak prone flat style.

Only complaint I have against the Hedman's is that they didn't quite clear the shackle bolt, but a ratcheting tie down appears to take care of that without voiding the warranty.

I've removed them a few times, and installed/removed spark plugs, etc., and there really isn't anything bad to say about access to the bolts or plugs, and how easy they are to get in the truck. Didn't have to remove anything to fit them in, except the stock exhaust pipes that were in the way.

I think the price from summit was $250 (didn't buy them there) but that is pretty comparable to others I think.

4. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

Before I forget, the ones I have are the "Elites", they do have a cheaper style though. They tout the elites as being thicker and what not, but I don't think the cheapies have the good flanges on them.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Thorley's

get Thorley Tri-Y's from everyone I have every talked to they make a noticable difference in low-end torque... when compared to a regular header. apparently the exhaust scavenging is excellent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You cant buy a better header for the $$.

After that, I would say go with Flowtech's for the same reason Goober stated above... then Hedman's...

-Ryan

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I have been very happy with my Hedman's. One suggestion I would make is to use soft copper gaskets. These solved the common problems associated with headers. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, if you haven't already ordered them maybe I caught you in time. Order a set of reducers. Summit has them for cheap. When you get your headers cut that stupid 3 bolt collector off and weld on the reducer. You will like it much better in the future. We just did this on my brothers truck and it is way nice. I will soon be doing it on my daily driver. It allows you to use a standard muffler clamp to attach the rest of your exhaust and it don't leak. I really don't like the 3 bolt collector design. It's lame.

9. biobry

biobry Registered Member

What is lame about the 3-bolt collector? Isn't it a good thing to be able to take the pipes apart from the headers?

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

what can happen is the bolts will work loose, blow out the collector gasket warp the collector, and you will never get it to seal again.

11. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

I haven't ordered yet but stopped by here on my way to the Summit site to place an order. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am going to take all of these suggestions to heart while I do my shopping. Will let you know what I eventually decide to do.

Thanks again.

12. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

One more question...

Ceramic coatings: Worth it or not? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I got some of the afterburner headers for my truck, haven't installed them yet though. You can take the paint off of them and paint them with some of that 1000* paint and they won't turn nasty looking as long as they don't get too hot.

14. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got some of the afterburner headers for my truck, haven't installed them yet though. You can take the paint off of them and paint them with some of that 1000* paint and they won't turn nasty looking as long as they don't get too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that is definitely an option. I was thinking along the lines of the Hedman headers since they look a little more "robust" and come with a better warranty (lifetime) than the Flowtechs, but the ceramic coated model was going to cost $300. I might just get the basic black painted model, scuff up the paint real good with some black oxide sand paper and then spray them down with high-temp paint.

Good idea. Saving money is key here! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wonder if Hedman will void the warranty because of a repaint, though. I may call them on Monday and find out. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have yet to see any coating last on a header. One weird thing I did have happen though. We powder coated a set and it burned right off except for the flange next to the head. However, they never rusted. They stayed clean metal. To this day no one has been able to explain that. Header wrap can be nice but I'm not sure how long it would last either. Keeps the under hood temps down too.

16. dyeager535

Probably a little late, but the elites are 3/8" flanges, 14 guage tubing, and already coated outside, and appear to be inside as well.

The ones I bought were 69890, I thought for sure Summit had those for $250 not 3 months ago...

17. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Probably a little late, but the elites are 3/8" flanges, 14 guage tubing, and already coated outside, and appear to be inside as well.

The ones I bought were 69890, I thought for sure Summit had those for $250 not 3 months ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, not late at all. I had actually decided on the Elites due to their construction and warranty -- but neither Summit nor Jegs has them in stock.

Jegs says they have been out of stock since November. Summit claims that they will have some within the first 2 weeks of March.

I am going to call Hedman direct tomorrow and see if they can tell me what the real scoop is. If they are behind in production and don't figure they will even be shipping to Summit or Jegs or anyone else for that matter within the next few weeks, I'll probably go with something else.

18. dyeager535

I hate it when you want/need something and it's out of stock. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know I purchased mine for way more than I should have (I guess due to loyalty to a local speed shop) but you might check some of your local places and see if they can get them.

The place I go to gets theirs from another distributor, not from Hedman directly, so chances are there are still some floating around in other warehouses. At least you'd think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Well I spoke with a guy at Hedman earlier today (they were actually open on Presidents Day) and he confirmed that they were backordered even with them.

The latest batch of Elites are presently in coating and will be delivered back to Hedman's warehouse within a week or two, and then shipped out to the vendors. He said they had 125 pairs coming to them which was more than had been ordered by vendors, so they were in good shape as far as avoiding another outage.

While speaking with him, I think I convinced myself to go with their painted headers for the time being. I always sand and prep my headers with several coats of high temp paint before installing, so it should do fine for my purposes. Plus it lets me postpone spending that $250 on headers for a little while longer.

If I have to replace the painted headers in 2-3 years, so be it. I should be in a better position to afford them at that time. Right now the 350 engine swap is nickle and diming me to death. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I ran the Hedmen painted for 6yrs then the thin flanges warped on me and I could not keep them sealed. I switched to Hedmen Elite with the thisck flange and ticker tubing. THe Aluminum color coataing has never changed color on me. They still look brandnew. WHatever coating they use it works very well. here is a pic
    [​IMG]
    I'm back in the market for heders and I am torn between Hedmen Elite and Thorlys Tri-Y /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif