Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YAHOOO!!!! Just recieved my Rough Ccountry lift.. any tips???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90idahoblazer, Oct 5, 2001.

1. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Hey, just recieved my 2" lift today. Any pointers before I get started. Any would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90idahoblazer on 10/06/01 09:06 AM.</FONT></P>

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Re: YAHOOO!!!! Just recieved my rough country lift

hey, congrats &amp; keep us posted!!!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

The lift on the '76 I bought 5 years ago has Rough Country shocks...it's a California Blazer so it could be ANCIENT!! The springs still flex and are strong, the shocks are good for the most part. I took my beast off-road and pulled people all over to get them un-stuck, took it down trails that were not to be believed, and just basically ROMPED!!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

5. 90idahoblazer

Thanks for the vote of confidence.....It sounds like I went with the right company....They have great service...I ordered it Tuesday and recieved it Friday. I hope the product is as good as the service....

6. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

As for any tips just one comes to mind use some penetrating oil for the u-bolts and the spring bushing bolts. When I put mine on I put anti seize on the bolts and the bushing.
    Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have been quite pleased with my RC 4" lift. One thing, after you have it all finished, drive it around the block a couple of times and then re-tighten all the bolts. Then, after about 50-100 miles, do it again. I even re-tighten mine before and after each wheeling trip.

You would be amazed how much things loosen after settling even on a drive around the block!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Take some pictures pleaze! I'd like to see what a 2" looks like, everybody seems to have 4".

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

9. 90idahoblazer

If I can get the old ones off....I will send you some pics....thanks for the torch tip by the way,...

10. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

make sure you got an exstiguisher handy, and remember those springs are close to the gas tank! (we did the torch method too, and it turned out with no problems)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't waste your time trying to remove those U-bolts, just cut them.

Why 2"?

I once put a small add-a-leaf/block combo on my truck for a 4" lift. Now I have a 4" Rancho. I am going 8" now, plus a 1" body. I hope my truck doesn't grow again after that, it's a shortbox and that's about as big as I want it!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. 90idahoblazer

Well I like the gas milage with the stock tires almost 20 mpg....also I had blocks on the back which are much less stable. I do alot of hunting and fishing ...not rock crawling or muddin.....Also I have not had one lick of problems with my tranny or axels from running monster tires.....So I guess this poor old GI is saving money in the long run by not breaking things.....unless I start tearing into them...lol....and last but not least it would have cost me more to put it back to stock height than a 2" lift from rough country.....2'' still looks ok with 31'' tires.

13. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

Cool! I will be ordering my 2" front springs from RC in about 2 weeks. Just take your time. When I put the 2" rear springs on a couple of weeks ago I made sure to do one at a time, not both ( disconnected form axle) helped a bunch. Make sure you release your parking brake to give you some slack in the cable. Make sure you have either a sturdy piece of pipe or a crow bar to help guide (push) the rear part of the spring/shackle into its craddle so you can get the bolt in. I am liking my new 2" on the 89' Suburban better than the 4" on my (now sold) 77' K5. There are a lot less things to change, watch, replace, etc... with a 2".

Good Luck!

Overdrive

14. 90idahoblazer

I have nothing but good things to say about this company......They have been so easy to work with....I was missing some hardware and they overnighted them to me. My 2" lift is so smoothe...rides and looks so much better...and the Heckethorne shocks they sent with the kit are awesome.....If nothing else their customer service is worth dealing with them...these guys bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.....If you order from them ...Talk to Jeff he will treat you right.......

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Lots of PB nutblaster! And let it soak overnight. And get the steering arm real good too!

One thing I found was the center bolt on the front springs were too long and I had to grind them down some so the plates that the u-bolts go thru could sit nice and even. Other than that, my lift went real smooth!

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

16. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i ave the same lft- my 2 tips are
    1- do the rear 1st, its less of a hassle than the front an dles frustrating
    2- have a can of pb blaster handy

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I forgot to mention the #1 tip that would have helped me on my spring swap:

DON'T TIGHTEN THE DAMN SPRINGS UNTIL YOU HAVE THE AXLE HANGING FROM THEM!!!

:)

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles