Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yakima roof rack

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cp87jimmy, Jan 9, 2001.

1. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

Hello to all, I haven't posted in quite sometime. I've been lurking in the shadows though. Anyhooo, I need suggestions on mounting the rack to my Jimmy without already having provisions for such a rack. It looks very simple on Steve's truck with the soft top. My top is the stock hard top without any type of luggage rails. Is there a insert or something that will except a bolt without going through the topper? Something I can bolt the "T" brackets to? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Anybody got any ideas?

GO STARS !!!!!

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I believe you can mount the towers to your side window trim, they also sell a generic kind of mount that is used to bolt on top of shells, I would just give them a call, I believe I put their 1-800 number at the bottom of the review.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

ok i install yakima racks at where i work and here are the 2 options, either way there will be drilling to the topper. the 1st way is to buy gutter racks, 1 bar will slide into the gutters on your window, then for the rear part gutters are "made" w/ a kit. they are 5inch wide gutters that are drilled into the hard top EVENLY and then the gutter bars slide into the new gutters
    option 2 is all on the hard top, and that is the sliding rails are drilled into the hard top and bars are put on there.
    but dont be worrited, the drilling doesnt cause leaking because there is a sealent put on the nuts.
    the 1st way has more space between the bars and arent adjustable but the 2nd way are adjustable but not as much space between the bars.
    i like the 1st way.

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought a used Yakima rack for my Blazer. I put part on the roof and used the rain gutters. The other part I drilled through the topper(hated doing it). I put a little silicone around the holes and no leaks. I carry 6 bmx bikes on the roof as well as well as a home made basket full of stuff for camping etc. no problems. They're a must have item.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

5. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

jimmyjack, did you drill completely through the topper? is it double walled? i would like to insert some kind of anchor in the topper if possible. thanks

GO STARS !!!!!

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It was my intention to go thru the thicker part of the shell but I didnt follow thru on my plan. I put some big washers on the inside if the topper just to spread the surface area(kind of) and its held up pretty well. Like I said I carry 6 BMX bikes up there. The nuts they give you are nylon threaded so they won't back off and with a little dab of silicone it's leak proof. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim