Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yamaha Grizzly cooling question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DukeBoy88, Aug 18, 2005.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I have a 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660. It runs a little hotter than I'd like, although I do not have a temp guage yet to know exactly how hot. My radiator is kept clean and free of mud as often as I can find clear water to rinse it in after running mud. I am copying a couple ideas off of my fathers polaris ( installing a fan shroud, adding a screen in front of the radiator). He also has what appears to be a dry sump oiling system with the oil contained in a finned aluminum tank to help cool it. My grizzly has external metal oil lines attached with banjo fittings. I'd like to tap into the main line coming from the oil filter and run it to a cooler in front of the radiator. I have plenty of room for this, but am not sure if I have thought of everything. Does anyone see a problem with this idea or have any other cooling ideas? I also have the heddar wrapped and reflective material on my airbox.
    Thanks in advance

2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

believe it is the same 660 in the rhino. Will ask at work and se if someone can tell me what temp is supose to be. So other than hotter than you like is there any other problems. we make big bears, bear trackers and the bruin atvs at work. Not quite sure who to ask but will ask around. I'm not sure what models have oil coolers on them I just work on broke welders and such. A welder can break anything.

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I believe the 660 in the rhino should be almost identical. I went looking on yamaha's site for parts and saw that the rhino has a oil cooler that uses an adapter that sandwiches inbetween the block and oil filter, simular to the automotive versions. That would make things easier if I just used that adaptor and the short metal lines that bolt to it and then run the rest on my own to a B&M plate type cooler I found in summit. If you can find out if that adaptor bolts on that would be great. thanks.