Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yanking carpet, Updates on Page 3 w/ ***PICS***. all complete.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Oct 26, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I got the rubber mat that replaces the whole carpet from LMC. I got the insulation also. My question is this. Do I need some kinda spray adhesive? I seen they sell it, but wondered if its necessary and would it jus make a big mess.

Thanks.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Not nessesary.
    Factory used a very very light adhesive just to keep little bubbles from showing.. I had a rubber floor I put in my K5 before I tore it down completely and Line-x'd it (:)), never used any adhesive, it didn't move at all.

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sweet, i was just about to bring this up...how much did it all come to? and what type of insulation is it?????

4. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

judging by what's under my shredded rubber mat, it looks like some sort of jute padding

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

It comes with jute padding like the factory has, which is okay, but shreds and comes apart. I picked up some heat shielding from LMC. its more of a space age aluminum type. Almost like what those cheesy sunshades are made from.

It was about 350bux total I believe for the rubber mat, insulation and shipping. Box weighed about 75lbs, so you get hit with a Heavy weight charge.

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

My 87 had factory rubber mat (government truck) and the padding was just laying under it no glue. I pulled mine and have it rolled up on the back patio.

It is nice having rubber and padding to keep road noise down. I will cut mine and put over the new carpet in rear cargo area and make floor mats when I am done. I plan on using the roll stuff from LMC under the front carpet. F.W.I.W.

7. NEK5

is there different type of insulate besides the jute??? it seems all it does is hold moisture, any idea what the stuff they have at Pep Boys is like??

8. NEK5

interested in selling?

9. NEK5

anyone use the aluminum looking insulation on their floors? or is that stuff just for heat

10. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking about herculining the whole thing, then cutting thick rubber mats, like floor mats for the front and rear seats to cut down on heat and noise, and maybe undercoating the whole thing would help some...

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have...

I've used both regular "bubble wrap" stuff,and the aluminum stuff like it sold at Home Depot,etc,on floors before..My 79 C10 I did with regular bubble wrap that came in 3' wide rolls we used at work to ship stuff..I never had a truck that had better heat than that one--it made a huge difference,with that under the jute pad and factory carpet,and a 195 degree thermostat,I was never chilly in it--in fact,I used to leave the window open a bit when shutting the door,or it would not close unless I slammed it,because it was so airtight!..

I put the aluminum stuff in my 74 K20--It had bare floors,no rugs,just rubber mats..the heat from the tranny in summer was unbearable,I could fry eggs on the tunnel!..but both types of bubble wrap insulation need something over them,they are not that durable..I've used the aluminum stuff as a headliner too,it really helps keep heat in and reduces noise..

I might put some in my diesel too,since its heater isn't quite as hot as one with a gas engine..but it already has lots of insulation from the factory,to quiet the diesel clatter..:crazy:

12. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

This is the stuff they sell at Lowes.$20.00 roll did the entire front of the truck.Not the doors but the firewall up to the cowl,both floorboards,tranny tunnel and under the seats.Used 3m spray adhesive from a marine supply store and aluminum tape.It's probably close to the same stuff that LMC sells.Way cheaper.Bubble wrap with aluminum on both sides.My truck was cooking me before I installed this stuff.Now it's fine.I covered it with the LMC front carpet.Yeah,I know,I know.Carpet in a trail rig,but I drive mine to work and back a lot and have to use it in the summertime to tow trailers full of beach chairs and umbrellas and just couldn't stand the heat anymore.Froze me in the winters too.This stuff is cheap and easy to install.

13. destinbeachman

jOoops,here's the pic.:D

100_0625.jpg

14. NEK5

how`s it keep the noise out?? thats my main concern, as the interior noise is really getting to me....how much for all that you bought to do yours, maybe a list of materials?

15. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

So how does that stuff do with moisture? I know yall keep saying bubble wrap and aluminum which leads to me think that moisture wouldn't be a probably but just making sure...

16. destinbeachman

Moisture isn't a problem,as far as I can see.It's closed cell bubble wrap,which gives the insulation from heat and cold,and the aluminum on both sides.Should be impervious to water.Helped with the noise also,even before I got the carpet down.I spent around 35 bucks to do the front.A roll of the insulation from Lowes,one can of the 3m spray adhesive(good stuff)and one roll of aluminum tape(also from Lowes).Way cheap.

17. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

***UPDATE***

Im about 75% complete WOW!. What a major PITA this is. The rubber mat from LMC is super stiff. It doesnt "relax" when layed out like I thought it would. You will not get a snug tight fit with this. Itll fit loose from what im seeing. The back peice was easy, its no diff. than rubber bed liner ppl lay down, its perfectly flat, jus needed some edges trimmed.

Ive got the front layed down now, but goin to pull it back up to get the insulation under it and find all the holes. That is probably the biggest pain in the ass , tryin to find the holes to put all the screws and bolts back. When putting the front down, ive focued on the centerline, meaning the center console and the 4wd shifter. everything else gets fitted and trimmed from this.

Ill post pics tomorrow. Hopefully it doesnt rain like they said it would so I can finish up. fun fun fun.

18. Metrodps

Take the rubber back out lay it on the drive for a good part of the day. This will soften it then put it in to truck. A hair dryer will also make the hump area more softer if you need to.

19. NEK5

what is better, the jute stuff, or the aluminum looking stuff/bubble wrap?

20. Metrodps

I plan on putting the silver heat shield stuff down then the fiber/foam factory stuff over that then the new carpet.