Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yard rears: are they worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Jan 10, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, i've been trying to find a 3/4 ton setup for my truck for about 3 months here in Jersey, with no luck. I would go with a yard rear, but I'm afraid to see what I may uncover when I pop one of those covers.. not to mention they're usually in a big pile that I can't get into.. and most of the yards I've been to, the guys who work there are usually pissed that you're there. Should I even bother buying a diff from a yard? What other places can I check besides the want ads and online yards?

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>
    ".. Sanatarium.. leave me be..."

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I got mine from a junk yard and it's been fine. I didn't even change the bearings in it. Most hear will say to change everything just to be safe. But I inspected everything VERY carefully and it seemed fine. What I did replace was all the brake hardware and seals but that was it. And I got mine for only $95. Just make sure you inspect it well before you dish out the cash and see if they will give you a warranty.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, I really dunno much about inspecting diffs. What do I have to look for?

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>
    ".. Sanatarium.. leave me be..."

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

We picked up mudhog's (Shannon) 14BFF rearend for $100 out of a roach sitting in a boneyard of sorts............and it bolted in, he's been driving it for two months with no problems. I figure if you check for leakage at the pinion, the cover (easy fix), and both hub ends and there's no leaks, you are basically good to go if you are in a hurry and don't want to open it up and check the gears for chips, etc.

I went the way of the paranoids.............had Wes (thatK30guy) supply and completely rebuild a 14BFF, add a Detroit, clean and paint it..........looked purty too [​IMG]. Well worth it in my opinion, but some guys would say I overpaid................I would tend to disagree. Wes did a fantastic job on this rearend and it has been perfect from day one.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

To be honest with you I didn't really know what to look for either. I knda just looked at as much as I could while I was at the yard and then had a buddy of mine inspect it thouroughly when I got it home. Basically at the yard I opend the diff and checked the ring and pinion for wear, then I took of the drums and inspected them cause I heard that those were expensive to get new. I briefly looked at the axles shafts and spindle and that was it. I'm sure other guys on thus board would be able to give you a more detailed idea of what to look for but that is what I did. Maybe I just got lucky, I don't know.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

6. pigpen

pigpen Newbie

i got a 77 k20 for $350 drove it home that night and started swaping rears the next day

pigpen

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

rears dont really go bad in junk yards. its not like they got a "born on date" or "refrigerat after opening" stamp on them. where in jersey are you, i need a reason to go wheelin. im just north of phila

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>