Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yardman self propelled push mower, chain drive or ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jun 20, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im trying to find out what drives the rear axle wheels on the yardman model 125-847F401 21" deck mowers with the tecumseh 6.0 horse 4LV60 502002A (D) engine

i picked one up real cheap with bagger setup and paperwork and everything but when you try to pull it backwards it stops immediately, it locks but when youre pushing it forward is makes fast clicking noises in the rear wheel hubs at the axle ends and the se;f propel belt seems slacked somewhat,

i have started taking the mower all apart yesterday and i see that on the lefthanbd side theres a chaincase or similar just on outside corner of the deck and the wheels shaft runs through it and the shaft from the propel assembly runs thtough it to, so it would have to be a belt in there or a chain, but doesnt look large enough ot house a belt. and a belt does drive the propel unit from the output shaft of the engine, its vertical shaft common engine, belt groove for this belt is above the blades(of course)

so i assume its chain and that the chain is binding when you pull the mower backwards,

i guess im going to keep disassembling until i get it down to the case so i can rmeove the screws around it and see if anything is wrong inside of it, i dont know what else it could be, the mower was old rich guy owned and never abused and it runs perfect sounds and looks like brand new

i appreciate any information at all, thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

update, i disassembled the mower and found the problem,
    i need a price on the axle gear drive box, anyone here who has access to yardman self propel parts.

the teeth of the two drive gears inside the box are so worn out sloppy that when you pull the mower backwards- with drive disengaged or not- then it locks up immediately and wont let you pull it backwards because the gears are worn out so much and bind up, there are alot of metal shavings inside the box, outside of the box cast onto it it says: 717-0419A
    it is a cast aluminum gear case housing and there is one external shaft coming out of the LH side of the case and it goes inside of a stamped steel housing at the left rear deck wheel and has a chain sprocket on the end of this shaft in which drives a small chain that drives the rear deck wheels shaft that runs full width of the deck to drive both the rear wheels

thanks for anything

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Try Home Depot, Lowells, or Super Wal-mart.

I have a Murry propelled push mower and I am so glad I have it cuz of the size of my front yard.

I hope you get it running. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah we dont have any such stores here unfortunately,
    we have to parts and such online, this is what you have to do if you want anything thats not ordinary in this area,

if anyone runs across anything like mower parts online for yardman self propelled pushers, or the part itself please then lemme know

thanks

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you can tell me everything about the mower and the parts you need i can get it, the guy that lives behind me fixes everything for yard work/landscaping for a living. he even had a part for my cousins montgomery ward rototiller thats 25+ years old. or if you can get the part to me so we can match it up.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Self propelled push mowers? I think those are annoying. I cut this ladies lawn last year, she was old and weak so she had one. I am young and strong so I can mow here lawn okay with no help. It's pretty big lawn. It would always spin the wheels when I stopped for a breath, or when turning around. But each to his own. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

TJ, need the axle drive box/case assembly, or preferably just the pair of spiral cut teeth gears inside of the box/case assembly, its a yardman 125-847F401 with 21" deck

thats all there is to know about it that i can see or tell, no other numbers or brands on it anywhere other than its got a 6.0 horse tecumseh on it but the engine mounted on it has nothing to do with the part i need, and i have no clue what the part number of the gear or box assembly would be, there no numbers cept the 717 series part number i posted above and thats just on the lower half of the box housing and the number is just for the half of the housing i found out, but thats all that i have found out so far with about an hour or research online, i think MTD builds these Yardman mowers ?

thanks for anything i appreciate

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

do you know what year it is? ill see what i can do tommorrow /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

1995 is stamped on the drive box belt pulley /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

but thats the only date that i can find on it anywhere

thanks

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yardman mowers are like Kias. Use them till they break then throw them away. If you can find one. A gearbox assembly will prolly cost almost as much as a new mower.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

it was 400 dollar mower when new, thats an expensive disposeable mower, that would be a like a tranny going out and needing replaced in a nine year old caddy or vette maybe even- in vehicle terms, would you scrap the caddy or vette at nine years old just cuz the tranny died ?
    if i price a new gear set and/or box assembly for this mower and its too high IMO then ill just reassemble the mower minus the box unit and drivechain and drive belt and it will be a freewheeled push mower, no biggie /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif plus being converted to freewheel will free up all the 6 horses to cut grass only and not drive the axle /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif sucker should cut any darn thing that i could push it into /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i could also bore her out, get bigger valves, put ram air driven off exhaust gases or off the drive output, all kinds could be done, just like tim allen believes can be done, cept i wouldnt blow it up or wreck it most likely, but its possible./.... haha

i could also find a small hydrostatic clutch off of some old little riding mower or go cart or lawn mower engine powered bike and put a chain sprocket setup for the deck wheels shaft gear,

never know,,

thanks

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

MTD makes Yardman mowers.
    Here's their parts site maby they can help:buymtdonline.com

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I want a 52" Scag walk behind to cut my lawn with. Scag [​IMG]

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

id rather have a lawn tractor one /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i see that nobody caught that i was posting 12" deck, lol i meant 21" deck, i dunno why i was posting 12"

doh..

welp ive reassembled the entire mower back to operating status all minus the drivebox and well it works fine im just leaving it as a freewheel pushmower it works fine, easy to push and still have mulching and bagging capabiities

im not speding a chunk of $ on the stupid box, i can do that some other time maybe later.

i gotta get to mowing right now, right in the middle of it, takngi a break, its damn hot out 100% full sun out there and dry, in which is all an extreme rarity here, no exxagerations, so i need to take advantage of that, before tornadoes and rainy and humid and gray dark overcast climate returns, in which it will within a short amount of time, for sure, as always,

thanks

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    id rather have a lawn tractor one

[/ QUOTE ] But the Scag has a valkie plate to stand on. I ran a lawn care for a friend a few years back, and that Scag will get in where alot of smaller lawn tractors won't. Love the hydrostatic !!!

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I bought one of these for the lawn at work.
    [​IMG]
    Dixon ZTR
    Sweet mower! Dual hydrostatic drive(like a tank) 23 hp koler engine 8 mile an hour+ mowing speed. Even comes with a built in beverage holder. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Hank Hill look out.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    id rather have a lawn tractor one

[/ QUOTE ] But the Scag has a valkie plate to stand on. I ran a lawn care for a friend a few years back, and that Scag will get in where alot of smaller lawn tractors won't. Love the hydrostatic !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh

cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif :P

i dunno,., lol

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought one of these for the lawn at work.
    [​IMG]
    Dixon ZTR
    Sweet mower! Dual hydrostatic drive(like a tank) 23 hp koler engine 8 mile an hour+ mowing speed. Even comes with a built in beverage holder. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Hank Hill look out.

[/ QUOTE ]

neat

neighbor across the way has had one of those for a few years now, it seems ot work good but i dont think id like one,

im stuck with a push mower for the rest of my life i bet, i can dream that ive got a functional rider mower though, but will remain fiction/fairy tale

thanks

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah I dont think I could justify/afford spending that much for a mower for my house. I bought the one above for work because there is about 7 acres of grass to take care of. Our groundskeeper loves it Cuts his mowing time in half.

I'm still following my push mower around. I have thought about getting a rider but I like the excersize.
    The mower I use I got at a garage sale 50.00
    Glad you got yours figgured out.

What I said about Yadrman mowers being throw away mowers in my eariler post did not mean the are necissarly a bad mower.
    I just meant that the mower manufactures make it hard to get parts and expensive to repair them if something major breaks, like a drive.That way They can just count on people buying a new one every 5 years.