Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yay! I'm done...shack flip is in, PICS POSTED!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Jan 5, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yay! I\'m done...shack flip is in, PICS POSTED!

Its good to see that lots of peeps have been checking out my webshots albums and following along as I do my ORD shackle flip install. =) I am going to add some more info to the captions, but the pics are all up from begining to end. =) I'm psyched, can't wait to do my shock upgrade and then take the rig out to the ramp!!! =)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: yay! I\'m done...shack flip is in, PICS POSTED!

Great write up man!!! Now we just have to take care of your shocks [​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. gotmilkgotlift

gotmilkgotlift Registered Member

testing

4. gotmilkgotlift

gotmilkgotlift Registered Member

testing

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Killer write-up! I only wish that I could be that detailed about documenting my deeds.[​IMG] It's nice to know that there are others out there that feel they must paint everthing that goes on the truck, though.[​IMG]

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Do those revolvers pin in the closed position? And also, if you have some time, Id like to see a side view pic of the pinion angle after the flip with the weight fully on the truck. Im interested to see if you get any vibes. You dont have any shims in there now do ya?
    Ive already done my flip, with the p/u hanger, but just curious how thongs compare.
    Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Do those revolvers pin in the closed position? And also, if you have some time, Id like to see a side view pic of the pinion angle after the flip with the weight fully on the truck. Im interested to see if you get any vibes. You dont have any shims in there now do ya?
    Ive already done my flip, with the p/u hanger, but just curious how things compare.
    Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Nice job and nice documentation.

Can't wait to hear your comments on the 'streetability' of the Revolvers...........you tow, right? Wonder how they will work for towing. Do you have longer brake line in the rear?

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Jek,

Congrats dude! The fact that you did the whole thing in the dead of winter in your DRIVEWAY gets you extra "cool points" with me! [​IMG] I forget sometimes what a luxury it is to have a dedicated workshop to do projects in....

I'm also interested to hear more about those "revolvers" and if they are lockable somehow for the street? I don't think they are sold that way....but I thought someone on this list had a simple locking mechanism (like the ORD Sway Bar disconnects) that allowed them to lock for safer street driving.

Nice job....I bet it feels GREAT to see everything back together, and knowing that you did it all YOURSELF!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

10. jekbrown

Thanks guys!

55: yeah...we OUGHT to do something about them shocks............. =p

502: yeah, stuff HAS to be painted before it goes back on. I really dont care about a dent here or there, but I absolutely HATE rust! Anything I can do to slow it down is a good thing. My rig doesnt have much, but thats because I have been fighting it tooth/nail. ;) As far as the write up, there are still some things that I wanna add to the captions. The write up is definitely geared towards peeps who would be doing it in the driveway with limited tools, so I have some other useful hints and experiences that apply to that kinda situation.

thumper: I'll snap some rear angle pics. From what I have heard, the flip by itself will keep your angle good, without any shims at all. That said...I *did* add an inch from the zero rates...and fractions of an inch from the revolvers and the UHMW PE in the spring packs. I have little doubt that they messed with the angle a little...only testing/measuring (getting to it today!) will tell me if I need shims or not and how big etc. My t-case still hasnt been dropped...spacers are below the x-member...so maybe I'll do that when/if I have to do all the shimming. Oh yeah, the revolvers...no, they dont pin closed. The have a plastic sleeve (looks like UHMW PE actually!) that holds the shackle in the closed position (no side to side twisting) when the weight of the vehicle is on them...but when cornering it may be possible for the shack to come out of that and to open up. Again, only testing will tell for sure. When I get some good ideas from fellow revolver users...I'll make myself some kind of disconnects for them. It couldnt be that hard and would definitely be a good idea for safer on-road driving.

BlazzinOR: me too! I think the revolvers can definitely be made to run a-ok on-road. Just have to figure out a way to do it. Having the anti sway bar connected would prolly help some...but a connecting system for the revolver itself would be best. As far as towing, no...never do it. In fact, when I get a new bumper, my trailer hitch is coming off. I'll prolly have a hitch integrated into my bumper...but it wont have to be THAT heavy duty...D-rings will be for getting pulled out...and the hitch will just be there for when (and this is like 5-7 years down the road!) I tow a small trailer for two 4 wheelers or SeaDoos or something. As far as the brake line goes...yes, I have a new one...got it with my ProComp extended fronts...only problem is, I have never been able to get the rear line off to put the new one on. =( Guess I will have to soak it down with WD or something for a week and then try again. I'll definitely need the extension. A longer rear diff breathing tube (or whatever its called) would be a good idea to. The current one is almost taut without any axel droop-age at all. doh!

Greg: thanks for the cool points. =p I like doing this kinda thing on my own, definitely feels good to have her together again, even if I may have to fiddle with shims and stuff still. At any rate, having limited tools is VERY frustrating sometimes. At one point, I couldn't get the center pin out of one of my spring packs...spent 1.5 hrs on it...wouldn't budge...I took it to my local 4x4 shop, they torched it off in under a minute. grrrrr... ;) I need to win the lottery...like a BIG one...then I could open my own 4x4 shop and have all the tools I'd ever need...not to mention some good pro 4x4 techs to help me out when I needed it. =p

Anyway, when I get all the shims/brake lines/ebrake situation solved, I'll post pics of that stuff too...and after the shock upgrade its to the RAMP! 8D

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Jason, let me know when you want to get rid of that hitch, I might want to buy it.

I had a heck of a time getting the rear brake line separated up by the gas tank too..............PB Blaster and an hour of waiting time did it for me.

Nice having Oregon/Washington weather to work in, huh...........poor guys back east have to work in 20 degrees, we get 45-50..........gotta love it. Spent the morning in the garage with the Blazer, didn't even need to close the door.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. jekbrown

BlazzinOR:

I'll do that, I dunno when exactly I'lll be getting my new bump. Two things need to happen....55Willy needs to start fabbin'...and I need to get some more $$. At any rate, once I have it, I won't need the hitch anymore, I'd definitely sell it to ya. Not sure how much I'd want for it...but prolly not tooooooo much. ;) I'd yank it off and sell it to ya now...but with my luck I'd need it for something dumb...don't wanna risk it. ;)

&gt;I had a heck of a time getting the rear brake line separated
    &gt;up by the gas tank too..............PB Blaster and an hour of
    &gt;waiting time did it for me.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't have a line wrench of that size, that'd prolly help. Using a big crescent or something similar is just gonna waste the factory nut. It annoyed me so much the last time I tried it that I pretty much decided to wait until I have it in the shop next...and have a pro take care of it then...seems silly for something that small, but I couldnt get it off without destroying the while line/nut last time I tried it. ;) Maybe I'll give it one last go tomorow.

&gt;Nice having Oregon/Washington weather to work in,
    &gt;huh...........poor guys back east have to work in 20 degrees,
    &gt;we get 45-50..........gotta love it. Spent the morning in the
    &gt;garage with the Blazer, didn't even need to close the door.

oh yeah, with a t-shirt, a hooded sweatshirt and a flannel I was *plenty* warm outside even though it gets a little windy up on our hill and when I'd come into the garage to do some stuff it was almost to warm! =p I get the feeling I wouldn't have got as much done if I lived in...say...Buffalo NY. =p Of course, being completely snowed in WOULD be a great excuse to work on the rig in the garage.... ;)

J