Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yay or nay on parts truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KrebsATM02, Oct 30, 2003.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I saw an old truck on the side of the road with swampers so I decided to look at it.

77 chevy 3/4 ton, 350/400/205, d60 front, 14 rear, on 38.5 radials i think.

Called the guy, says yeah it was my sons, he's going through a divorce. I lent him $6000 and I got this truck. He says, "it's got that dana 60 in the front and rear and the front has all new seals". Said he's asking $3000, but he would take $2500. He said that without me even saying it was too much. So I figure I could get it for 2250 or maybe 2000. The guy has no idea how many miles are on it.

From what I can tell it was built to be a mud truck and is all mis matched. No 3/4 came with a D60. Body is in bad shape. So lets go through what it would be worth to me. I'd sell the 400/205 to recoupe money. D60 also has a raised steering block.

The main reason in buying this is to make the blazer into a halfway respectable vehicle. Rob the d60 front and the tires and through them in the blazer.

So lets break this down.

Engine - It runs. $100 maybe 200? Id sell it
    400/205 - looks like the lowest people pay is around $500 anyone know if this price is right?
    D60 - I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one so thats how much it's worth to me.
    Tires - cost 301 a piece new, worth 500 to me
    14 bolt - 150
    Steering wheel $50?

I need some of this stuff for the buggy I'm planning anyways. Well the 14 bolt and the steering wheel/column. What else would I need for a buggy that might be on this truck?? What else could I part out? I'm planning on an aluminum radiator for the buggy. Is that worth anything to someone?

Maybe the lift?? It's at least 8" I have no idea on the brand. maybe 200 for it?

I'm going to go by after work and look at it again. Help me out here.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Take $1,800.00 in cash with you and see if the guy will sale. Cash in hand tends to lower the price on most vechiles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If its got good gear ratios and lockers in the axles,I would say its worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. KrebsATM02

One of my buddies suggested I take the D60 and the tires. Take the 10 bolt from my blazer swap it on and then mount up some of my old 35's and then resell it. I bet I could get $1500 for it at least.

The only problem is it's big and white trash love that [darn] around here, so the guy may think he can get a decent amount of money for it. Other than that I really don't think he'll get more than 1750 for it. I'd say about 90% of the people around here don't know what a D60 is and could care less that he is telling them it has it. The rockers are rusted out, and overall it looks like [darn]. I can see the 2 different colors of RTV on the front diff. I bet the guys son beat the [darn] out of it in the mud.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you ever plan on owning a 60" you better plan on spending more than 500.00. Offer him 1900.00 The 400/205 is worth at least 600.00-750 maybe more if it is the k" case type, the 60/14ff combo is worth at least 1000.00-1200.00.

6. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

I think its a good deal. remember you can still part the body out and the lift springs on it (or your rig for that matter). plus you can still sell your 1/2 ton garbage to someone i sold a 12 bolt rear for 300 this summer. like was said before that dana 60 is worth 2x the 500 you put on it. you could sell it all day long for 1000. plus who knows if it has lockers or lower gears. i say go for it for sure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. KrebsATM02

[ QUOTE ]
    If you ever plan on owning a 60" you better plan on spending more than 500.00. Offer him 1900.00 The 400/205 is worth at least 600.00-750 maybe more if it is the k" case type, the 60/14ff combo is worth at least 1000.00-1200.00 you would probably be better of taking the loot and buy a set of 60/14 bolt axles and building them the way you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks buddy, I bought a Dodge dana 60 for $300 bucks at a junk yard. They are out there for cheap, you just have to wait and look for them. The Dodge Dana 60 is going into my buggy.

The blazer already has a 14 bolt in the rear, but I want the 14 bolt for my buggy. I'm going to check it out better after I get off work in a half hour.

The only way I'd believe it had lockers is to open the diff's up and look. By the way the rest of the truck looks, they would be welded up.

I'm not in a rush anyways... I'll let him sit for a while. Thanks for the replies so far.

Edited for clarity!

8. mudjunkie 82

300.00 bucks is real good,dodges and furds go a lot cheaper than gm 60's. They might be a lot cheaper around there,Here I think that the bone yard owners all know each other. they all want top dollar for them.Good luck on your project /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If you ever plan on owning a 60" you better plan on spending more than 500.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just found a 4.56 D60 for $300. Needs new seals and bearings maybe rotors turned /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Now I just nned to find $300. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. KrebsATM02

[ QUOTE ]
    300.00 bucks is real good,dodges and furds go a lot cheaper than gm 60's. They might be a lot cheaper around there,Here I think that the bone yard owners all know each other. they all want top dollar for them.Good luck on your project /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do the chevy's go for more there? Their are 3 differences between the chevy and dodge. Dodges are 2 inches narrower, the tie rod is on top for the dodge, and the knuckles are supposively stronger on the Chevy's.

Ford's are high pinion so some people like that, but they have the weakest knuckles.

By the way the Dodge D60 I have has the internal hubs, not the big old selectro hubs.

Back on the orginal topic!! If I can get it for less than $2000 I think I'll do it. If I can get it for that, I'd take the D60, 400/205, and the swampers off. Then I'd through on my 8 lug 10 bolt, a old 700R4 and 208, and some of my older 35's. I bed I could get at least a $1000 for it then.

Almost seems unethical to me, but everything I would be swapping in would work fine. Plus it's not like I'm taking a front 60 from a 1 ton and still claiming it's a one ton. I'd just be giving the truck back it's original axle /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. KrebsATM02

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you ever plan on owning a 60" you better plan on spending more than 500.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just found a 4.56 D60 for $300. Needs new seals and bearings maybe rotors turned /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Now I just nned to find $300. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd get it as soon as you can. Everyone and their mom had searched the junkyard I was at for 2 years for D60's. I wasn't even looking for the 60 when I found it. They were cleaning up the junk yard for the first time in a couple years when I stumbled on it. It must have been under piles of cars. The only thing left was the frame, gas tank, and the leafsprings it was still attached too. The real winner of the day was, the owner wasn't working the counter and it was closing time. So the guy offers to help me with their big ass 4wd forklift. So while I'm unbolting it the guy's like, "yeah I put one of them 3/4 tons under my truck, It held up alot better". I was like, "oh this is a 3/4 ton?? I thought it was a 1/2 ton". Hell I even gave the guy a $5 dollar tip for helping!!

I'd say get that thing as soon as you can before someone else does!!

12. mudjunkie 82

You guys are so lucky. I paid 1000.00 for mine and when I got it, It looked like it was fished from the bottom of the Goddam ocean!!! As far as gms going for more it is because people want bolt in.........

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Ford D60s go for much more than the GM ones.

I payed $1400 for a whole 1 ton truck and rrove it home. It was in respectable shape, too. I think I got a good deal.

14. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    The Ford D60s go for much more than the GM ones.

I payed $1400 for a whole 1 ton truck and rrove it home. It was in respectable shape, too. I think I got a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifSearched every bone yard in the Cleveland area.found many furd 60"s.No Gm 60"s They Wanted a lot less for the furds than a gm 60"

15. KrebsATM02

People like the ford axles for their hi pinion. Their disadvantage is the weaker knuckles, but other than that and the fact that the pumpkin is on the wrong side I'd take ford one over a chevy one!

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The only problem is it's big and white trash love that [darn] around here

[/ QUOTE ] So big trucks are for white trash ???? GFYS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. KrebsATM02

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only problem is it's big and white trash love that [darn] around here

[/ QUOTE ] So big trucks are for white trash ???? GFYS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha YES!!! No, I'm saying white trash love mud trucks, and thats exactly what this is/was!!

18. yellowK20

What's wrong with mud trucks ?????

19. KrebsATM02

[ QUOTE ]
    What's wrong with mud trucks ?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Your either messing with me, or reading way into what I'm saying. I can't really tell, as sarcasm is to detect over the internet.

Nothing is wrong with mud trucks, thats what I orginally built my blazer for. I still love to go mudding, but hate cleaning. In any case, I was just pointing out that white trash love mud trucks. At least in my geographical location! East Texas!!

20. yellowK20

yeah i'm just messing around /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif just trying to stir up a little healthy debate