Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ye who haveth doubler..need questions answered!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGRIG, May 19, 2000.

1. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I've all the sudden heard alot about this doubler and the basics of it makes sense and I'm very interested, but does anybody make it besides offroad design and do they make it cheaper!? Can you run a np208 and still have shift on the fly or do you have to go to 205 only. To you who've installed them before how much work is really involved? I have an 84 k5 and was going to adapt the th350(have tricked th350 and 203 sitting in garage) to the 208 but if i can buy this adapter then i would like to do that instead. Help is appreciated.
    Thanx

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

All the adapter is going to do is take the range box of the 203 and make it look like the ass end of a tranny. The reason the 205 is a popular choice is it's strength. The other, is the overall length of the 203 range box, doubler adapter, and 205 is, give or take, the same length as just the 208. This gives you an idea how long the 208 is. Driveline lengths would fast start to suck if you got the 208 bolted up to the rest of that stuff.

Offroad design is the only folks that make the doubler adapter. The price is pretty steep, but still a hell-of-a-lot cheaper than an atlas and you get to keep a meium lowrange of 2:1 Plus you get the deep 4:1

3. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

I don't have one, but I've been reading up in the hopes of having one someday. Check out the offroad design site, they break it down and have detailed explanation and measurements. You can use any case that has an adaptor for a th350 or 400 tranny, if you can get the drivetrain from there back to work right.

Troy

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Much cheaper than the atlas plus with trucks as heavy as the K5's the atlas would not hold up!! I looked long and hard at the atlas befor I went with the doubler, There was just no way the atlas would hold the power with the 6000 GVW. As far as useing something other than the 205 you can use any thing that will bolt up to a T350, t400 or the 465, just by getting the right duubler kit, The reson for going with the 205 is that it can take the tork easly and most of the others can't. It does take a bit to get used to driving, having 3 shifters, in my case 15 forward gears, 3 the other way. In low low rang I have about 100 to 1 most of the time I shift up to 2nd or 3rd, But when it get to were I need to slow down and save the clutch I drop in to 1st and creep I mean realy creep, To date I have never stalled it in low low 1st, I did shatter the ARB that was in back, riped the center out of 2 stock steel rims. SO the dirve line must be up to the tork!!!! In my case thats 490 foot pounds X 6.34(1st gear)= 3106.4 X 2.1 (the 203 rangbox)=6523.86 X 1.98(the 205)=12917.2428 X 3.73(the diff gears)=48181.3157 foot pounds of tork!! That can if your not real light on the pedels rip out any thing, even if you remember the loss of going though the drive line. Which is about 20% so lets say I have 38545 after that. Thats still 6.45 pounds of truck to each foot pound of tork!! Advance Adapter wont even talk to me about the atlas they know better!! It just to light!!! I even pulled the racing rear axels out so if some thing goes its the rear axel shaft not the diff or the drive shafts.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There is a guy that is on another mailing list that I am on that had a machine shop make him an adapter and had Moser make him the input shaft.

I think all in all he had about $400-$500 into it.

I will find out who it was and let everyone know. I will also ask him if he can get more made if we send him the cash.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys..and i would be interested in the info emmitoligy. I had heard the 208 was longer but i didnt know it was that long. Well additional info is always appreciated.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

7. Emmettology 101

I have e-mailed the person I was talking about, but I have gotten no response as of yet. I will let everyone know when I do....

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"

8. Emmettology 101

I have just spoke with the gentleman that had his own douobler kit made(which was done beofre ORD came out with theirs)
    He doesn't have the time to get more made, but he said he will send me his plans and I can take them to a local shop and get my own made.

I will keep you updated!!!!!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"

9. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Hey Blazer72, talk to me about the Atlas... Where did you get your facts? From looking at the Atlas, it looks pretty beefy (at least beefier than my 241) because of the internals being ALL gears. If it's the aluminum case, is their case any weaker than the aluminum case that makes up the 241? Thanks for any info.

Rob

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

10. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

An Atlass cost around 3k the case is aluminum yes and it a fixed yoke front and rear. Its based on the 205 and is the 2nd strongest T-case out there, but its rated at about 1/2 that of the 205. My doubler uses the advanced kit to mate the 203 to the NV4500. Be the 1st kit to do so I and Steve Watson with ORD had alot of phone calls with Advance and we did talk about useing the Atlas yet after finding out what I was do and what the motor was advanced did not want to sell one to me as I was way out side what they had ment for it to be used in. Rember 490 lbs of tork X 6.34 is 3100 lbs way over the input of the atlas!
    The Doubler was the only way to get the 4 to 1 and live. The weak point is the front hubs and the rear axels, and yes its that way on purpose! In the next 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to br put the warn full flooter kit on the back which will move the weak link to the rear hub and the front ones. Blowing a hub is cheaper and easyer to trail fix. As for the cost of the doubler I got every thing from ORD and the cost was less than 1200 Some day if I ever can find the time the board admin will get the story on how I got ht e doubler in the blazer with lots of photos.