Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yea-haw..truggy..fuel cell and pump discussions

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by supersize75k5, Mar 3, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well I found me a fuel cell this morning and picked up enough metal to make China hate me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sooo just wondering, I am really going for a set up simiular to crawlin73's and I want to fuel cell to be mid ship if possable.

cant waight to cut the frame and loose the tank /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

This is a BIG fuel cell, I worry though that not having any weight in the rear will become a big issue real quick, has any body decided to not mount there fuel cell midship because of this?

pro's and cons?

well I am off to go get some sawzaw blades /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Re: yea-haw..going truggy

cool deal /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

this is what i'm gonna do..
    i am going to order a 15 gal fuel cell from summit which is 20x18x10. i plan on leaving in the back seat and mounting the fuel cell close to the rear of the bed.

the tube work will add weight to the rear along with the fuel so i don't think you'll have any problem.

3. supersize75k5

I saw your pic and it looks like we think alike, here is what i made a while back

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif cool design..

here's the fuel cell i bought.
    RCI-2151AS from summit

[​IMG]

and i also picked up one of these.
    [​IMG] fuel cell tip valve

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What fuel pump are you going with?

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

stock fuel pump.. still q-jetted so no pump inside the tank..

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You could make a small "cage" around your fuel cell and run the spare and jack over it if you need more weight

I need to think of something to bog down my rear too, may just fill the bumper with cement /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. supersize75k5

I am thinking a cage or hose for it out of 2x2 angle iron, I dunno I got to do some sawszaw work before it goes in anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

here is my cell, it is the "green things" or cell I bought from shane /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Mine's right behind the rear axle, kind of in the stock location but it's only 17" or so deep so it really doesn't generate any overhang. The top of the 14 bolt would hit the cell if it was any farther forward and the height is still OK for working on, filling, etc. It's a 22 gal RCI or summit plastic/steel can type. I think this is an ideal location for weight and it also keeps it out of the central cargo space. We put my brother's is right behind his seats on top of the driveshaft and it works well there in that his cargo area is easier to access from the rear of the buggy but it's harder to fill and he has no chance of running a back seat. His balance is also different because his drivetrain's not in stock GM location compared to the axles.

10. CK5

Steve, what fuel pump are you running?

11. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Steve, what fuel pump are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]

feelin a little happy on fuel pump ehh /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

why are you always asking about everyone's pump /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. CK5

Because I am going to go fuel cell but I haven't seen any that allow the use of an in-tank pump so wondering what others have done. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

use a bosch inline, BlazinOR (burbinOr now) had one in his 79 with his TPI 406. didn't have the cell just the external pump.

14. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't mean to high-jack but while your on the subject of cells... Anyone know of a good chambered one? I can get an RCI aluminum one for decently cheap but it just has some foam peices. With my luck I'd get stranded on a nast hill sucking air with 5 galons of fuel in the tank.

15. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running an external MSD pump with my TPI that is designed for MPFI. It is only like $85 shipped from Jegs or Summit. It has been working fine for 3 months or so now. No problems other then it is LOUD. If I had the money and a do over I would go with a better pump like the Bosch.

Any external pump rated for MPFI should pump way more then your TBI (that is what you are running right?) will need and it would probably be a good idea to get an adjustable regulator for it.

Pump wiring is simple. Positive and Negative. Connect the positive to your fuel pump power wire from the computer and your good to go.

Just make sure to use Fuel Injection rated softline and fuel injection hose clamps with a high pressure pump.

Harley

17. CK5

I run a modified TBI (bored) with regulator and Walbro High Pressure 255 ltr/hr in-tank Fuel Pump.

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would just get an external Walbro or Bosch pump and reuse your regulator and call it a day.

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't like the external fuel pumps for 3 reasons.

1) Externals cost more, usually almost twice for anything you can depend on. I can put in a new internal and buy another for a spare for about the same cost as putting on an external.
    2) Externals do not last nearly as long and they are more vulnerable to environmental hazards. Down sides of internals is that they are more difficult to get too, but greater longevity and a simple access door tempers that problem.
    3) Externals are much more noisy (as you already observed). Even the more expensive versions of the externals are still louder then the common Delco internal.

For these reasons I've been in the same boat as Steve for a while now. I run a K5 tank for now, but that has to go to make room for rear links and I have not yet found an acceptable replacement that will accept the GM sender insert or an internal fuel pump without major surgery. I'll be starting the links this spring/summer and I'll probably just build a tank like I want and graft in the GM sender port...

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Can't just a bladder be purchased and you make your own box i.e. using the Chevy fuel pump mount someway somehow? I think I remember correctly on a race car I helped restore years and years ago we built our own box and put a bladder into it. I could be just smokin crack again but that's another story. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan