Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yea, I know I know...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 12, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Hey, I'm pretty sure I already know the answeres, but thats not going to stop me from asking...

This shop is suppose to be very reputable, and they are VERY popular in Utah.

Yesterday I went by a shop in Utah (Mister 4x4) and asked them about lifts... What they thought about BDS, Shackle flips etc...

Anyway, the guy totally ripped on BDS and the shackle flip. Told me block are OK up to 4", and no need to go to springs for less then that.

He told me ALL lifts ride bout the same, and he really doesn't see any difference between them.

Now, if I had my choice (which I do) I would still go with a 4" BDS, rear shackle flip etc.

Give me everone's opinion... Is what this guy said really true? I can't hardly believe the shackle flip and BDS suspensions are that bad (espeacially with ORD making the shackle flip)...

Thanks,

Jeff

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, I can tell you from experience, a 4" block in the back gives you a very noticeable increase in axle hop. Now, I've run them and allot of other people have so it is not an “oh my GOD! Don’t DO that!”. It is not unbearable, it is definitely serviceable and it will definitely help out your budget. However, you can certainly tell the difference.

I have been though the entire process on a single vehicle (except for flips). Stock form, not much axle hop. Cheap 4" lift with blocks, noticeable and aggravating axle hop but not too much difference in ride (due to reversing negative arch front to positive arch resulting in very little overall arch), Upgrade to rear 4" spring, axle hop pretty much gone but rides a bit stiffer primarily due to increased arch. That's just how it works. The shackle flip cuts the axle hop (from blocks) back to stock levels (generally fairly tolerable), gives you the 4" lift, and still rides almost like stock, maybe a little better due to compression leverage on the rear shackle as opposed to tension.

Now, as far as all lifts "riding" the same, no way, just look at the differences in spring rates. They also make "heavy duty" lifts for higher hauling capacity and "easy rides" (and other names) which are softer and will squash if you try to carry a load. Saying that they all ride the same is like saying a 1/2 ton and 3/4 or 1 ton ride the same. Sheesh, somebody needs to give that guy a clue.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I did the Do-it -yourself shackle flip w/ my four inch lift and love it. I put the blocks on that came w/ the kit and hated it. It didn't seem to tilt my pinion up enuff even though the blocks were tapered, and just looked cheap. Since I didn't have a torch, I whipped out the grinder, a few files and a hole saw. The whole thing took less than a day and looks really professional (if I do say so myself). Its only temperary until I pony up the $175 for ORD's flip kit. But so far so good. There is almost no pinion angle w/ the shaclke flip. I have Superlift's Superide Spirngs (4"). If there was a BDS distributor near by worth a crap I probably would have opted for them. But I have no problems w/ my Superides.
    Good luck!! -Tommy

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Just go back to that shop and kick that guy in the beanbag. Different types of lifts ride very different. Thats like saying $10 discount shoes are just like some Nike Air's. That guy is an idiot.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Uhhh.... yes and no. I'm going BDS w/ my lift. Best all around spring IMO. At least from what I hear. I have ridden in Superlift superrides (great ride, but want an actual 6" of lift... not 4.5"), but they also seemed to have a bit more sway side to side (sounds about par for the course... win some lose some). Skyjacker softrides were a bit firm and bouncy, but ideally I liked it, just hoping the BDS will take the edge off. Rough Country was another one I've ridden in and...yuck.
    I'm really not sure about the shakle flip... I figure try blocks first and then take it from there. They do sound like a pain in the rump to install... plus 175 in additon to the price of another 2" spring set is some cash, but I guess if you want it all... you gotta spend it all... and then some LOL.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Jeff, if you want to learn about BDS and what they have to offer call Rene at BDS. I have talked to him many times and he is always willing to spend as long as it takes to answer your questions. He is very knowledgeable and ALWAYS willing to help out. I will be going with BDS very soon hopefully and possibly an ORD flip. On top of everything else BDS warranty is the BEST.

7. solowookie

I kinda figures that guy was just trying to 'get a sale'...

I didn't really believe that this guy was being completely straight forward with me...

At any rate the 3 lifts I am considering is the BDS (I'm considering this the most) the Skyjacker, or the Tuff Country...

anybody running the tuff country?

My other plans are to put a 4" lift on and run 33's. When the 33's die then I want to swap axels and gearing and go to 35's... I'm assuming a 14 bolt and dana 60 will give me about another inch of clearance which should leave very little fender trimming for the 35's (12.50).

Let me know if that sound like a decent plan...

Jeff

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Sounds like a good plan. I'm runnin the TC 6" lift on my K5, I like it. The shocks that come with it aren't as firm as the RS5000's, the ride now is a little springy........

[​IMG]

9. solowookie

What shocks would you run with the kit if you had your choice?

Jeff

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm running 35's on 15x10's w/ my Superlift Superide 4" lift and only get light rubbing on the back of the front fender when turning over uneven terrain.

11. FWP

FWP CRS

RS9000, but a little pricey. For a budget, RS5000 or Bilstein.

[​IMG]

12. CaptCrunch

Tuff country is suppose to be really flexy... check out Depdog's page and rig... he's running one. The downside is they seem to have a lot of body roll too them. Shocks are currently my boggle... BDS is releasing their own shocks very soon, if they aren't out yet, RS9000 are excellent, but very spendy... Blit's are another favorite, but they cost as much as the 9000's unless someone knows where they are cheaper? The place I'm getting my kit from swear by Trailmaster SS and SSV's... so I dunno.

[​IMG]

13. solowookie

There seems to be a lot good advice here. You were talking about body roll. I have also heard that K5's have a tendency to get top heavy real quick. How much lift are you putting on your rig?

Jeff

14. solowookie

I'm a bit curious about the 'do it yourself shackle flip'... Did you make you own, or did you somehow alter the stock?

Jeff

15. solowookie

I've heard really good things about the SSV's... I'm thinking about putting their steering stabalizer on... The other shock I've been considering is the pro comp.

Jeff

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I think this is similar to what he is talking about.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/shackleflip.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/shackleflip.shtml</A>

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

17. CaptCrunch

OH yeah.... I love this board... I'm going 6" so I can easily get 35's on. 33's and a 4" just doesn't quite seem to be big enough for me, but it is easier and much cheaper then a 6" lift as well as just about as good offroad (until you add a 14B, then you tend to need more clearence). I'm also adding a D44 and 12B w/ 4.10 gears to adjust for the tires... another thing is you may want to pick up a ORD zero rate 1" block for the rear so it sits level, the blazers tend to sag in the rear due to the topper. Body roll has alot to do w/ body mounts and wheel spacing as well, but stiffer springs defintely help control it.

[​IMG]

18. solowookie

Well I'll definately be going to a 14B and a Dana 60... The fact that it is a bit more expensive doens't concern me. I don't mind spending the money to get something done right, but I have to spend the money twice.

I've already been planning on getting new body mounts from energy suspensions.

Looks like I'll probably be going to a 6" lift then (I just won't tell my wife) :) my wife is 5'3", and she already has a hard time getting into

Let me ask you another question... How hard of off-roading can I do with 35" tires and my stock 10 bolts?

I want this to be really nice on road too... (I know, I want to have my cake and eat it too)...

19. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I altered the stock bracket. I did it the hard way w/ out a torch. There is a web site somewhere detailing the process. I can't remember where I saw it though. Anyone?
    -Tommy

20. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Probably doesn't carry or has ever seen BDS or the shackle flip but has his opinion as to their worth. .If he doesn't carry the product, how does he know how well or bad it is, and what is he comparing it too? I'm sure he had nothing but kuddos for the product line he carries, would loose a potential sale if he told how they really rated. Blocks do one thing, get you high cheap, and there are trade offs that you can either live with or they will bother you as long as you have them. Blocks are also sandwiched between the perches and springs not bolted on. As the old saying goes: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price has gone. Go with the system that fits your wheelin needs and is designed for your vehicle. Don't go with a system designed for muddin when you plan on rock crawlin only and vice versa. I was told to go with blocks even after I told them that the springs were original (1979) and were sagging on one side pretty bad. "Add some extra shims and that'll get you back level" was the response. I ran from this store.