Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YEAH I have radio stations now whoohoo!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Aug 18, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

UUGGHHH John and I hooked up the new CD player and speakers yesterday, but I couldn't get the radio to come in at all once I started moving.... called the previous owner this morning, and asked him if he had hooked up the antenae when he put the new windshield in...... ohh nope he forgot.... but tells me he has the little rubber thing that goes on the windshield, and down behind the dash he'll bring it over... he shows up, says, It's missing the wires inside here, looks pretty bad, have to get a "new one" at a junk yard etc... he leaves, after getting my tailgate open for me,, John and I were scared to pull too hard, not knowing what was going to happen.... he also looked over the exhaust again.... but to make a long story short, he left, and I

Took the little rubber thing, found a very small screw, started poking at it, found the wires, under a bunch of gunk.. cleaned them up as good as I could, broke my fingers trying to get it plugged in behind the dash pad, hooked it up, and holy crap, I get tons of stations now, even when moving! I want to put in a fender antena, but that will be done this winter sometime.....
    I should have done this BEFORE I put in the new dash pad, I was so worried I was going to crack it... on top of the fact I now have burn marks on my arms, black dash pad, 94' heat, baking in the sun OUCH!

just had to tell someone.. YEAH I HAVE TUNES!

Brandy

2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hehe, I went through the radio woos a while back. No worries though, I give you about 2-3 years until you start yanking the interior/radio out and start burring the truck in mud /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . All jokes aside, why do you want to swap the windshield ant. for a fender one? Think the reception is that different? I have always contemplated swapping windshields out to switch over since I have lost about 6 antennas over the years to trees in the woods.
    Congrats,
    Mike

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    start yanking the interior/

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of like you and Josh did???

What I have been told, is that the fender is better. This is the first rig I"ve had with it in the glass, I may try to get a new rubber thing that snaps on the windshield first, and see if it gets better. I parked the two trucks next to eachother, and John and I hit scan at the same time, he got about 5 more stations than I did.....It could very well be the crappy wires in my snap on thing...

John wants big whippit antena's off the mirrors. Imagine with those I could get just about everything on the radio!

I'll let you know if I do swap it and what I find out

Brandy

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you put a fender one on just remember to remove it before wheeling.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A fender is a much better ground reference for a monopole antenna than a mirror is. There is actually an ideal length for the FM band, so longer is not necessarily better. Guys run long antenna for CB, because CB operates at a lower frequency. There is a limit to how many stations you will be able to get anyway, because multipath interference is a bigger problem with FM than sensitivity. You might also try one of those cheap antenna boosters on the windsheild antenna. They give decent results as long as you don't have any really strong stations nearby (including TV channels 5 and 6 and mobile users around 110MHz).

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ahhhh but Wayne, remember I don't wheel!
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Brandy

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yet!!!!!!!!!! The quads don't count for this either. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif You might not wheel a truck buy you and John sure don't mind getting dirty. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

That's the downfall of running a quad through mud... you guys inside your rigs were clean, even Pete, with no door's/top he was still a heck of a lot cleaner that we were!

Brandy

9. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I sure am glad we didn't have to go through all that to get tunes for my truck. Just idiots at the GM dealer.