Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yeah, Im definitley puttin a 6.2L in my K20

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985K20, Apr 3, 2005.

1. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

eeehhh...would this be true or wha???

Crossing bottomless mud or climbing very loose hills, imply superiority for a gasoline engine. Lots of low-speed travel, cruising at 10 MPH, give a distinct advantage to the diesel. The diesel torque superiority becomes apparent when towing large trailers, or an otherwise heavily laden rig.

The fuel economy advantage during slow cruising is profound. While diesels at maximum power output consume about 75% as much fuel compared to gasoline engine producing the same power, when both engines are producing 20% of their maximum power, the diesel consumes about 35% as much fuel. Of course, both diesel and gasoline engines vary in their particular consumption of fuel.

Secondary considerations include the greatly improved safety of diesel compared to gasoline; diesel is hard to light on fire even if you try. :blush:

Sounds good to me :waytogo:

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

:confused: :confused: :confused:

you lost me after profound.

its all relative... diesels are great for towing and slow rock crawling... the rest is owned by gassers. diesels have their advantages but your limited to 160 (6.2 diesel) hp and not being able to upgrade easily. If you start throwing money at it I could see the point but why not throw that money into a 350 and make 350 hp and 400 ft lbs(Like me :grin: :D ). sure the off idle torque will never beat the 6.2 diesel unless some $$ is applied but with the right cam (comp cams .250/.258 .432/.453 600-4600 rpm) the low rpm torque numbers are very comparable and an sbc is alot easier and cheaper to modify, things like headers, intake, tbi or carb, etc. the stock rating on the 6.2's were real low 280 at the highest IIRC. A hot sbc can make real close to the lower tq numbers with the right combo with the benefit of alot more hp and alot more peak tq.... I would guess that an sbc would start to make more tq than the 6.2 at a real low rpm.... modified smallblocks make tq pretty quick.

Basically i am saying go with the 6.5 or a hot sbc or bbc...

sounds like you like having 20 mpg(who doesn't) so the 6.5 is a good choice with 100 more ft lbs than the 6.2 and another 30 hp.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Sound like you seem to have a good idea about what you want, go with it.

The diesel is looking more and more atractive to me, i am starting to look it it as my repacement for my burb. The diesels might not kick in with a ton of power, i have talked to many who wheel theres in all sorts of stuff, including thick heavy mud.
    and they have no problem spining them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shane, you really seem to have a major chip on your shoulder regarding diesels's...specifically the 6.2.

Who says that everyone wants or needs 375 hp? I for one really enjoy my 6.2 and it's very close to stock. It makes more than enough power for my needs, so why would I mess with it? If I wanted a Hot Rod I sure wouldn't start with a brick shaped K5 that tipped the scales at 5500 lbs...i'd buy me a 3000 lb car that had great aerodynamics and build a healthy small block or whatever for it.

Re-read the original post...it's not that hard to follow. At maximum output a diesel uses 25% less fuel than a simialr sized gas engine at it's maximum outout. Loose translation just points out superior fuel economy even at WOT or towing.

At 20% of it's max power the diesel uses 1/3 the fuel of a gas engine...

Rene

5. grape

grape Registered Member

first of all, the only difference in power is based on amount of fuel your pump an injectors can flow. Then it's up to you to add the air it takes to burn that fuel. The 6.2 and 6.5 are the same engine except for .080" of bore, so with the same fuel system components they are the same thing. The only differnce in cylinder heads that had to do with performance from model years '82-'2000 is the shape of the opening in the prechamber in the head, which can be knocked out and replaced in any 6.2-6.5 head. I'm sick out of my mind listening to people talk about the power differences between a 6.2 and 6.5. If you are taking a bone stock 6.2 compared to a bone stock 6.5 yes there is difference......but it's fuel and air related, all of which are bolt on components that can interchange with the whole series of engines.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Did I ever mention that diesel fumes dont ignite?

Oh yeah, diesel also doesnt seem to absorb into your blood stream as readily as gasoline.
    Its also more biodegradable.
    it takes less to refine.
    It has more BTU's per lb.
    If an accident does happen, diesel fuel is easier to clean up. (Floats on water). Gasoline doesnt.

BTW, unless your motor is a tuned port (which it never came in our trucks that way) all the way til 97 vortec motors... your motor does not run at any angle. It will run at most angles, but not ANY angle.

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ya i wouldnt mind having a diesel in my k5 these days either. the older i get (and the higher gas prices climb)the more practical they same. i dont really care about power above 3k rpm anyway.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

also, currently biodiesel in my area is running $.30/gal less that petro diesel, $.05 cheaper than gasoline. Better for the environment, easier to pass sniffer emissions, and smells better :D

Plus you can do some tuning like the injector pump, add a turbo and put on propane injection.