Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yeah! <--It came!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Avery4jc, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My Uniden PC78LTW just showed up! $100 shipped NEXT DAY including tax! I couldn't pass up the offer. I installed my 102" ss whip yesterday and it is huge so I'm going to go out and install this right now. Man this sure brightens up this sad day.

Just thought I would share, I'll post pictures soon once I figure out where to mount it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.uniden.com/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=B-PC78LTW

-Avery

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. Avery4jc

Hmm I got the antenna all tightened down on the rear bumper and the unit powered up. I used the open ignition controlled slot on the fuse box for power and grounded it to a screw in the firewall and it works like a charm. The only problem I'm having is that the cable I bought doesn't fit. It's too small for the antenna and way too small for the back of the CB unit. It's RG58 50ohm but the ends are wrong so when my dad gets home I'm going to head back to Radioshack and see what's up.

-Avery

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Should have PL-259 connector on the radio end and depending on how the antenna is setup, could either have a PL-259 connection or direct connect with the shield and center conductor to the antenna and ground.

I just mounted a Cobra 29 Classic where I had my old radio. Works pretty good.
    [​IMG]

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I sold my President Lincoln. [​IMG] Now you guys are making me want too go out and get another radio.

5. Avery4jc

No joke man, this radio stuff is fun. I'm all setup with a book from my buddy to go get my HAM license so I can toss another system in the truck and add another antenna but for now this is fun and will be useful since not everyone has HAM.

I got everything squared away with it tonight. The radio is mounted and the antenna is up in it's permanent state. I have to watch my little cousin tomorrow morning (well today now) so he and I will run the wires for it nice and neat. We hooked it up and played with it all night and it works like a charm. I Love Love Love having the ability to adjust SWR's on the fly with a simple knob and also having a built in meter for it. Now I just need to get some local guys to talk to. We played with the range using my buddy's Bronco and we were able to get about 1/4 mile through the really dense neighborhood and it was still clear and that was with my truck backed up against the garage and not one bit of calibration.

He was saying that there are specific SWR's that I can tune the radio to for specific channels, what's that all about, I thought I would get the SWR's in the green range then just leave the knob where it's at.

We also were able to pick up the local weather band (ch. 1 around here) and it is stationed out of Hanford, a good drive from my house so it seems to be a great setup.

I'll get pictures of everything in the morning, I decided to make a metal bracket to mount the cb in front of the bench seat on the floor behind the transfer case shifter pointed up at me.

Anyways I'm excited, I'll post up in the morning.

-Avery

6. 88Silverado

The radio shown to the left in my post is a 60W 2m radio.

7. Avery4jc

So you can talk to the aliens on Mars right?
    :bow:

-Avery

8. 88Silverado

Ive talked to every country on Earth (on HF)...and a few people I could believe were from Mars :eek1:

Heres the real radio and antennas

P6180008.JPG

antenna1.jpg

9. Avery4jc

:eek1:

uhh, my 102"ss whip makes me feel a little inferior now.

-Avery

10. 88Silverado

Mine keep hitting the trees....go figure :haha:

A 102 whip is a good antenna. If you wheel, I would find a way to lay it over so it doesnt "whip" around. Another good, and somewhat smaller" antenna to use is the old K-40.

Have fun!

11. Avery4jc

Yeah I was told that if I was going to hit up the trails I would want a smaller antenna but since I only plan on doing mud and sand it won't be a problem, well besides the fact that I can't go through the drive-through and park in the parking garages but I couldn't do that before anyways too easily.

My mom took my sister to college and I forgot she has the camera but when she gets back on Wednesday I'll take some shots of the mount and stuff.

-Avery

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

K-40 is good, but the Wilson 1000 preformed better for me.

13. 88Silverado

Yea thats true...the 1000 is a very good antenna too.

14. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

moon rackers baby!

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I had lived in a house instead of a apt. I'd love too put up a tower with a Maco "Laser 400" beam antenna. [​IMG]

16. Avery4jc

conpensating are we?

Avery

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not at all. It's all about having the right equipment. Beams are great antennas.

18. 88Silverado

Thats very true. I started down that road in the 70's with CB but decided to get my ham license. Figured if I was going to want big antennas, run 1500 watts, and talk to far away places in addition to local areas, amateur radio was the way to go. I still use 11M in the Blazer and Motorhome cuz it does serve interum highway communication.

Paul, thought you were studying for your license?

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

No point at this time. Maybe after I get a house where I can have a base station again. Heck I even sold off my mobile equipment because I wasn't using it.

20. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Even in an apartment you can use an HT to hit a few repeaters. no big antenna required. ;)