Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yeap...more computer questions.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Dec 14, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

OK..
    my computer...i put a new motherbourd in it...and when i try to format it through f-disk...i cant get it to format..i deleted and then re-partitioned it... and then when i try to run the windows 98 setup..it always says i dont have a valid fat/fat32 partition....after i partitionned it!! wtf...and i restart it after i do it just like it says...anyone know what the problem is? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Did you repartition it and FORMAT it? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yah, you have to format it... Format.com is not on the boot disk, you have to boot with CD support, navigate to the CD's win98 directory, then format it from there.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i've never had to format my mother boards!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hmmm... Good point...

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol oops...yea i mean i put a new motherbourd in,...and im trying to format the hardrive with it...hehe...hmm....i never had this problem the first time around with the other bourd though...i thought fdisk was all you had to run...

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do i go about doing that.. i dont know what to type to get to it..

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

give model, and brand of MB and HDD

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the computer i biult myself...its a western digital 40 gig 5400 HD...with a shuttle mother bourd..for a slot A athlon..the bourd model is A161..

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You definitely have to format it, and make sure that you format it as a FAT or FAT32. You may be accidentally formatting it as a Linux or NTFS partition, which would render it unrecognizable to windows 98.

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that could be...can you tel me exactly how to format it...cuase i dont know if im doing something wrong or not...i boot it up with the 98 cd..got my boot disk in there...then what..

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

try this if you want: i'll email you the startup files for partition magic. they're not very big files and partition magic is an excellent hard disk utility. you can split up your hard drive into parts, format different filesystems, etc. if you want me to do this, PM me with ur email address and so forth and ill PM you back instructions

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If you guys haven't resolved this yet, you could also just boot to the cd or startup disk and do the following (everything in quotes is what you type, but don't type the quotes):

1. At the prompt with win98 cd in the drive, type x:, x being your cdrom drive letter.
    2. Type "cd win98"
    3. Type "format c:", and hit "Y" to confirm. If your partitions are not setup teh way you want (which they should be if you already ran through Fdisk), you'll have to do this every time you repartition. If your partition's aren't setup correctly in the first place, format will give you an error.

One stupid side of Microsoft OS's in that regard is that they're not really a truly "complete" OS. Unlike Mac OS or Linux, you usually have to have at least one partition already formatted before you can install windows...

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok cool i give this a try...thanx...

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok when i do this it says foramt is not supported on drive C...OK..?? im stil not getting this...i know it has something to do with it not paritioning it..its just not doing it...how do you exit out of windows befor restarting in dos? i partition it...then it says any dfrives you have changed/partitioned will need ot be formatted after you restart...exit windows befor restarting....so i just restart it..and try to format the harddrive..and it says its not supported... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

17. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

is the drive new? if not what os was on it before? win 98 fdisk will not see patitions from all operating systems. or delete them. I have had good luck with Delpart. have had it on disk for a long time but im shure its on the web somewhere.

microwave ovens work well for blowing away partitions. Defrost. or just stick it on that huge magnet on the back of your stero speeker for the night.

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its not new..well kind of..but its not a different one... i had windows 98 on the machine...replaced the motherbourd in it...now im trying to re-install 98 again...im using the same boot disk and cd i used befor...i dont get it...

19. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Do you have another system you could toss it into? Try to partition and format it using the os from a second system if you have one. Run fdisk from start> run. Once you’re in fdisk make shure you chose the correct drive to partition. Don’t blow away your c drive.

If you can format it this way, copy the win98 directory from the cd to the hard drive before you put it back in the new system. When you get it back in use your boot disk to get to c: go to the win98 directory and type setup. If you install it this way windows will not prompt you for the cd every time you make a system changes change drivers, whatever

What does the bios of the new system think of the hard drive? Does it see it correctly? Try it on IDE2

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hey guys...im now talking to you on this computer!! i figured it out..turns out when i partitioned it..and it came up with a warning saying it was going to change the boot sector or something like that..it said press Y to accept..and for some reason i kept pressing enter i guess...dumb on my part big time! but i just played around with it till i figured out what i was doing wrong..but i got it up and now i am working on putting my stuff back on it..but i got it on the internet as you can see!! thanx for all your help guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif