Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yearly truck sales for GM, Ford, Dodge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 16, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Can anyone help me find this info? I have heard before that if you combine the sales of GMC and Chevy they sell more trucks per year than Ford does. But Ford can claim to be number one because GMC and Chevy are technically seperate companies. Want to try and prove this right or wrong. A lot of bull**** flying around class today. I already proved the "Ford owns Cummins" myth wrong today and that Ford owns Subaru(rrrr wrong GM owns I've heard about 40% of Subaru but they own part of it not Ford). How about the rumor that Ford bought Ferrari? I REALLY doubt that one but have no proof yet. I don't like to be the same as these guys and spout my mouth of without knowing or having the info in front of me.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well in 04 Ford did outshine all GM trucks. 930 some k for Ford and 630 some k for Chevy. Can't find GMC numbers but info I found says that Chevy + GMC is still less than Ford this year.

So how about the Ferrari one? Only info I found is that Enzo Ferrari slammed the door in Henry Ford's face back in the day and thats why they built the GT40.

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I hate the Ford vs. Chevy discussions so much. I would rather be kicked in the nuts.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I know that ford owns Jag. and also enzo slammed the door in Mr lamborginni's face thats why he went into biss. but i had never heard of the ford one, if you go on there web site, Ford owns alot of stuff, and that have a good amout on "intrest" and alot of other stuff to.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

About the Ford vers Dodge vers Chevy, I never cared about who sells more trucks. I'm more intrested in what lasts longer, what cost less for repairs, what is easier too work on / modifie, ...ect. Not too open a big ol can of worms, but the Chevy's have always held up better for me then the Ford or Dodge. And have always been less coin out of pocket for the repairs when I have broken something.

6. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Ford gets big numbers because they count their fleet sales in with their totals. GM does not.

I never understood why they don't, but then I don't understand a lot of what GM does. The new trucks are ugly, the C6 looks like an acura, and the 4th gen Camaro looked too much like a geo storm. (although it was quick).

Whoever decided to put an LS1 in a cavalier and call it a GTO was on crack. quick yes, but GM can't style it's way out of a wet paper bag. I'm sure they'll screw up the Camaro when it comes back too.

I'm all about parts interchangeability and being cheap to fix, and yes, GM trucks do seem to last longer, but damn they want a kings ransom for some ugly ass vehicles.

GM's problem is they have too many similar vehicles in too many divisions, so they end up with a bunch of mediocre vehicles instead of a smaller amount of great ones. Too many people have too much say in designing their stuff, so there's a lot of crap done in the name of office politics.

For example, I've met Scott Settlemeyer, when he was the Camaro brand manager for GM, at one of our Camaro club's shows.. We were talking about the 4th gen Camaros in general when I said I didn't like them because I can't see out of the front window very well. I'm 6 ft, and the roofline is right in my line of sight, and I hate driving in the ghetto style recline position.

He told me that the roof was supposed to be a bit taller, and him being as tall as me, he liked that better as well. Just before the car went into production, a GM bigwig decreed that the roof be brought down to where it is now. He had no design credentials, he just wanted it that way.

So, " design by comprimise" seems to be the way of things at GM, and they're suffering for it. and considering they don't like to deal at the showrooms, It's no wonder GM is in trouble.

Tom

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I love GM but they are screwed up anymore. The GTO is a soley Australian design. If you look at some of Holden's stuff, it is a lot cooler than what GM is producing even if you don't like the looks. I agree they will mess up the Camaro. I would not be susprised to see the new Camaro be some rear wheel drive EcoTec Turbocharged 4 cylinder. I like the C6 myself. I HATE the new Pickups. My dad has one, and yeah I hate it. Seems you can't buy a Chevy without OnStar and a 6 disc CD changer anymore. What happened to work trucks?? Lots used to be full of them. My dad has an 04 2500HD that is a work truck but he had to look long and hard to even find it.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

its more now i am sure but i have a popular mecanics that had the top ten sold in the us in like 98 or so.

said ford was #1 fro 15 years

chevy #2 for 20 years, and ford still out sold them my 60 000 combineing chev and gmc, ford slod a truck in the us every 6.3 seconds.

me and a buddy sat down and calculated that a ford BROKE DOWN ever 3.7 seconds

oh and dodge was 8th , just ahead of the ranger

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ford sells more trucks plain and simple. Untill GM can market/build a truck like Ford they will stay in second place.

11. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

I like the aussie ss ute a 350 in a little elcamino/s10 look

[​IMG]