Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

years to look for

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 69K5, Aug 5, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I am gonna start looking locally for a diesel 6.2 , 6.5, or cummins 4bt. I might actually have a line on that cummins just gotta check it out. I dont want to mess with a computer so how far back am i looking for? I have been reading ALOT of older post and saw problems with headbolts, cracked heads, and thermostatic controllers(Whats that?) from pre 85 blocks i believe. can you get a newer post 85 block and strip the computer stuff off without many probs?

I have been looking around at performance accesories and about all i see is banks chips and exhaust. where elese can you get Although im not sure i m gonna need any if everything is as strong and reliable as people say.

chevyracing i still have you in mind i am just looking locally. i dont want to know what shipping would be to louisiana on that 6.5

thanks again for all the help

Nathan
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

All Chevy 6.2L and 6.5L diesels are non-computer controlled from 1982 up until 1993. From 94-up, the 6.5L used in pickups used an electronic injection pump. However, all you have to do is remove that pump, and install the standard mechanical pump, and you're good to go.

All 6.2L's are good from '82 to '93. Some of the more later model 6.5's have a bit of a block cracking problem. All of them have head cracking issues which are not usually a problem. My '82 6.2L is still running great after I put 100,000 miles on it after rebuild. I even reused the original head bolts. I have no idea how many miles was on it when I snatched it from the scrap yard.

Casey

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thank you!!! thats exactly what i needed to know.

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif