Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

YeeeHaaaaaDOUBLER!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 3, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bought a club members Gen1 doubler plate when he upgraded to a Gen2 set up. Got the truck taken apart and everything put together on the bench today. I had a factory 465/203 so it was all a simple bolt on thing with easy to find parts. All I needed to get was some seals, gaskets and a 10 spline 465 version 205 and adapter. Paid $130 for the set from a guy on Pirate. 10 spline 465/203/205. 30 spline front output on the 205. Should have it bolted into the truck tommorrow. Then a call to Jesse at High Angle for a couple new 1350 CV shafts and I'm set. :D :D :D

Also, does anyone know if the triple stick shifter on ORD's website will work with the Gen1 Doubler?

And now for a dumb-ass question or two...

How the hell do you get oil into a 205? :crazy: Theres a couple square drain plugs on the back of it...one higher than the other, but the higher one still doesn't seem to me like it would be high enough to fill from. I've never had or seen a 205 before, hence the n00b question.

n00b question #2-

How the hell do I get oil into the 203 gear box? And how do ya drain the thing? I assume this plate that came with the doubler is either the drain or fill... Do I have it right or do I need to flip it over? :confused:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

couldn't tell ya about the fill plug but since you got it out just roll it around until you can fill it up and get the capacity from a manual.

Heres a noob question for ya... how does a doubler work? I know it allows two different gear ratios but do you have to use 2 tcases?

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

the doubler takes the crawler box of the np203 and mates it to the full np205. u only use the front part of the np203

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yes upper fill plug on the 205 and the fill plug on the 203 PTO cover...not sure about the shifter

5. Zeus33rd

Thank you. :)

6. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

How does the output shaft of the 203 mate to the 10 spline male input on the 205?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you remove the output shaft(really its the interior intermediate shaft of the 203) and replace it with another intermediate shaft that goes to the 205.

I'm an constantly amazed at the number of members who haven't even bothered to read some of the tech articles on CK5.

Steve's Review of the Doubler

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't installed my triple shifter kit yet as I need to twin stick my 205. But the only change I can see is I need longer allthread to to reach the 205 shift rails compared to a 2nd gen doubler. I have a TH400/203/ 1st gen doubler/ 205.

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Cool dude, you're gonna love the gear reduction! Just a few suggestions (from experience :) ) Before you add oil to the 203, drill yourself a hole in the bottom of the 203 and tap out a 1/4" or 1/8" pipe plug hole for a drain.

Check the 203 range box detent cam thingy, the half moon part that the spring loaded ball goes into probably could stand to be ground deeper- keeps it from popping out of gear.

Twin stick the 205 before you put it in the truck, then fab yourself your own shifter (your a good fabricator)- the aftermarket stuff isn't worth the price for what you get IMHO- I bought the Currie shifters ($130), which I could have made myself for 20 bucks of material and an hour of my time... The boot is nice though :grin: Good luck man!!!

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:drool: :drool: :drool:

i hate you joe. :crazy: :grin:

congrats man, thats awsome... someday... ;)

did you use plenty of loctite on all the bolts? remember zakk's 2nd gen doubler? :crazy:

11. Zeus33rd

I got it into the truck today, but found that I'm going to need a body lift to make it all clear the floor pan. Gonna go get one tommorrow. As it is now, the doubler plate is sitting on the floor pan and the crossmembers are a good 1.5" from sitting flush with the frame.

Called Stephen at ORD and asked if his triple stick setup would work on the gen1 setup. He said the only thing that could be different is the length of the all-thread, like mentioned already. So I ordered the triple stick from him. Yeah, could make my own shifters, but don't want too. :p: Bolting on a shifter is soooo much easier.

Good call on drilling and tapping a drain plug in the 203. It'll be alittle harder now that it's in the truck, atleast I haven't put oil in it yet.

Ryan- Yeah I remember zaks doubler issues... I drove the two hours to Pollock Pines to help them out that day. :crazy: Ended up running the 'Con with them after we got it fixed. He also drove his truck all the way from the wherever he lives in the bay area to Pollock Pines. Lots of freeway driving on 39.5" TSL will vibrate pretty much anything loose. Good lookin out though, I do need to put some loc-tite on them. :D

I figured it out, my crawl ratio will be 132:1. :D :D

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ya...I dont know if that fits your truck...but the paint matches mine, so in a nice guy effort I will offer to cover the shipping for you to send it my way.. :xmas:

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Nice! I wish I could find someone selling a Gen 1 kit. Cmon, there has to be someone upgrading to the Gen2!
    Mike

14. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Sorry to offend you with my question asking....i looked for the details on the gen 1 doubler but didnt find what i needed. I know the gen 2 and others use the stronger 32 spline input on the 205.

15. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

looks good, little differnt from my gen I doubler, im using a 27spline 205 in the back. The gen I makes for a nice long front drive line, im like 37" in the front and 39" in the back.

16. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Hope you have better luck getting your tripple stick in a timely manner,a buddy of mine had to wait a few months to get his in :crazy:

17. Zeus33rd

I hope so too... I'll just have to call and harrass Stephen every few days. :D

18. Zeus33rd

I'm having crossmember issues now. Well not really issues I guess, just wasn't as easy as I hoped.

The stock original crossmember under the adapter behind the 465 bolts on fine of course. I had another crossmember layin around from a 350/203 setup and figured I'd just use that under the doubler. But it doesn't seem like it's gonna go all the way up flush with the frame. The 350/203 crossmember seems "shallower" than the one under the tranny adapter. I thought all crossmembers of this era where the same. All the mounts are brand new.

Anyways, it started raining in the middle of all this so I didn't get to finish it, or think about it anymore... So I might just be imagining it and it'll bolt up there just fine. But damn...... WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I dont wanna build a damn crossmember!!!! :crazy: hehe

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the 350/203 crossmember sits about an inch higher, I would try swapping the crossmembers, you may have to shim the front mount to get the weight distributed properly. Also, check the driveshaft droop, it may hit that front crossmember.

20. Zeus33rd

Ahhh...Thanks for shedding light. I had kinda half thought about swapping the crossmembers. Good to know about the differences in them. And the drive shaft is definatley gonna hit the first crossmember. Gonna have to modify the hell out of it. Thats ok though... front shaft is gonnna be loooong now. :)

It finally stopped raining so I can go back out and work on it. :D