Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yelling at telemarketers...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I guess my cell phone number got out on some calling lists or something, I've gotten three offers for credit cards in the last 2 days... First two places explained what they offered and asked if I wanted to sign up and I said I wasn't interested, thanks... and that was that...

Today I get this call when I'm in the McDonald's Drive Through, so I pull outta line and out of the way and listen to this lady with some crazy un-english accent give me her spiel on how great their company is and what a great deal she had for me (actually it didn't sound too bad if I wanted a credit card), and then asked me a few questions and told me I was eligable... Then she asked for my bank account number and I said I'm not interested, thanks... Thinking that would be the end of the conversation, I'm all nice about it... But the bitch keeps going... she repeats everything and mentions what a great deal she was offering me, I'm still not interested... Thinking it would make her shut up, I told her I just made a deposit on another credit card and couldn't afford a second one at the moment (still being somewhat nice)... That didn't make her shut up... instead she told me to call the customer service line and cancel my account because hers is so much better... Basically she said I was stupid for not signing up with her, and if I didn't I'd regret it... So by this time I'm getting pissed... she asks for my account number a third time and I say No I'm not interested... She said some more stuff and then asked what it was about the other company that was so much better than hers that I wasn't willing to cancel with them... finally I just raised my voice and said "THEY DON'T CALL WHEN I'M TRYING TO EAT DINNER, THEY RESPECT MY DECISION TO NOT GO WITH THEIR COMPANY, AND THEY DON'T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE. Nothing you say will make me change my mind, so quit wasting my time." She just said Okay, Mr. Aldrich, sorry to take your time...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My sister's tellin me I should've just hung up on the bitch instead of yelling at her.... But somehow, I got more satisfaction out of what I did... I don't think I'd forgive myself if I just hung up the phone and got on with my life /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i just hang up onem..lol

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

im pissed they waste my cell minutes, dont know how they get the number...if you answer, at least use the minute to [naughty word] with them

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

i usually hang up on em... if you hear a short pause between your hello and "hello, may i speak to mr...." *click*

If i am somehow suckered into talking to them, and i say im not interested Ill hangup if they try and repeat what they say.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

my favorite, when i was younger....

are your parents there?
    they're in the bedroom having sex, you want me to get them?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

when telemarketers call me on the home phone, i just set the handset down on the desk quietly and walk off letting them talk to themselves for 5 minutes. Eventually they hang up, and since time is money it hits those yahoos right in the pocketbook. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    when telemarketers call me on the home phone, i just set the handset down on the desk quietly and walk off letting them talk to themselves for 5 minutes. Eventually they hang up, and since time is money it hits those yahoos right in the pocketbook. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I do just quietly set down the phone then when I here beep beep beep from the phone I pick it up and hang it up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif My wife is always saying why don't you just hang up on them....it's more fun because you know they are reading this big spiel from a sheet of paper /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

If its a woman on the other end I'll do one of two things. I'll ask her if she wants to have phone sex, this usually gets them off of the phone really fast. Or I'll just get really quiet, and then when they ask if Im still on the line I'll just say "Im almost there, just keep talking" that seems to work too. I havent had any calls recently, I dont know why.
    If its a guy calling, I'll tell him to go f__K himself and hang up the phone. Just my sick way of having fun and getting a laugh.

9. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

first and foremost, THIS IS ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the fcc has already stated that solicitous contact of "potential customers" by cellular or other wireless telephone by any agency is not tolerated. unfortunately they have yet to rule the same for non profit group calls.

pay attention: if you receive a solicitous phone call on a wireless telephone-
    1 interrupt the caller and demand to know their name, the name of the company they represent and the state in which the company is licensed to do business.
    2 document the date and time of the call along with the company name and callers name.
    3 inform the caller that they have contacted you via a wireless phone and demand to speak to their supervisor.
    4 get the supervisors name for documentation.
    5 inform the supervisor that you have been contacted via a wireless phone and that your phone number is to be removed from their calling list and not to be given, sold or transferred to any other company.
    6 verify that the supervisor has complied.
    7 document the companies call back number. (the 'questions, comments, concerns' number)

there is no need to be an ass about any of this. these jerkoffs are just trying to earn a living and you must endure the tedious act of setting them straight. it is important that you make note of the who, when and where. interstate commerce rules can make multiple violations a serious problem for these companies and it will cost them big. at its worst, i was getting an average of 10 calls per day on my cell phone from people trying to sell my something or give me a credit card or some other bs. even had some dimwit try to get me to change my long distance plan. the fcc has already nailed a large quantity of companies for failing to abide by the rules of the "no call" lists. the fines are alot worse for calling cellular users. the fcc has a handy website for filing complaints against telemarketers, but you have to have all of the above info if you want them to do anything with it.

on a lighter note, about 8 or 9 months after i filed my third complaint about the telemarketing group that howard johnsons hotels uses, i read in the paper where the fcc received enough complaints to warrant a fine of 10k against them. made my day.

10. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

... that being said, it is fun to f' with those losers, isn't it? when i had a landline at the house i would always go with "so... what are you wearing?" or "do you mind if i slip into something more comfortable?" i used to love trying to get them to laugh. i had free time back then...

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I tell the wife if a sales pitch is on the other end, just *click* the phone.

But if she wants to have some fun, I've been trying to get her to act like she is taking a crap. Nothing funnier than expressing your pain and anger when moaning and groaning while trying to get that piece of crap out of the cornhole! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I don't have a cell phone because I hate the damn things. What the hell did we do before Cell Phones? How did we survive? And what are you people going to do when you end up with Brain Cancer? You do know that you are pumping small amounts of Micro Wave Radiation into your brain don't you? Why not go stick your head into a micro wave oven and get it over with?

Have you ever seen some bum on the street walking around talking to himself? Dress him in a suit and give him a non-working cell phone and he will look normal... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Well, Ill prolly get banned for this or something...but last year and the year before in the summer my job was...a telemarketer(begin with the tar, feathering, stoneing or whatever you have in mind). I sold security screen for Qwest for like 2 weeks, it SUCKED I hated having to piss off people. Then I was put on Farm Surveys for magazines like Wallaces Farmer(Iowa mag). Was much better and people dont get as pissed. I will agree with all of you, 95% of telemarketers are jackass's. I think I wasnt to bad, people only got pissed off with Qwest not the surveys. Anyway, I thought I would tell you guys before it "came out of the walls"

And no Im not one anymore, I mow greens and rough at a Golf Course now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

My boss kept a guy trying to sell him windows on the phone for almost an hour, Also tied up his supervisor. The guy made the mistake of telling him there windows were better than Andersen...We're there largest dealer in Northern Virginia and he sells the most of them.

Now I know what I'm gona do next time one of these asshats calls, I usualy let them talk and when there done I ask them to hold on and just put the phone down and leave it.

15. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just let them go through the spiel and when they get to the part where they say "are you interested" say " i cant write that fast, go back to the part about (insert short quote from near beginning of speech here), then when they get to the end again say "oh, i already have 7 of those" and hang up...

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No cell phone here either...and that suits me just fine. What did i do before cell phones? The same as now...I'm not that interested in being bothered while I'm out and about. The benefits don't outweigh the costs and the irritation factor.

I leave my phone quietly and let the telemarketers talk to themselves. The ones I really hate are the pre-recorded phone spam./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thanks President Bush /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You can also register telemarketer complaints there.
    The web site is a little slow. They are having something like over 1000 hits a second. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Death to telemarketers.