Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

yellow top optima commercial batteries

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, May 9, 2006.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

2. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i use the yellow optima battery they are great. no modification was needed for me. just used the factory clamp. in the factory location.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

you have the commercial one? its a bit longer. and has no where to clamp down at the bottom.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

you'll need to change to a top clamping style.. you need to use a clamp that goes on top of the battery and then the bolts are J hooks that hook on the side of the battery tray as there tighten down
    [​IMG]
    I found this one at http://www.wranglernw.com/commerce/ItemDetail.asp?ItemNo=34%2D942

I wish I had a friend that could get me a couple of them....

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I run that group 31 yellow top. It is longer and taller! In my 91, the factory battery tray would not work. The posts hit the hood. I took a piece of 1/8 plate and welded it to the inner fender. I also welded a 8" piece of 3/4 angle iron to the bottom for support that rests on the inner panel. You will love that battery. I would recommend it to anyone.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

can he get me two also for little $$? :)

7. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run a group 31 also, however I've got a '79. Great battery, lots of reserve!!! The tray mod was easy... just notched the vertical support next to the rad to let the end cell hang off the edge. Took about 2 minutes with the grinder and some epoxy paint. The hood is close but cleared fine.

James

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I got a D31. It's sweet. IIRC, i think there was a guy on ebay who made billet trays for the D31. They were pricy though, like over $100.
    I made my own tray & hold down, i had to anyway because of the tilt front clip the battery needed re-located.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]