Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yellow top voltage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought an optima yellow top. It cost close to $200 if I recall. It seems to me like it's not holding voltage very well now. I ran it down once by mistake, by leaving my headlights on, but I have a dual battery setup, so I switched over and drove home. That's why I bought the yellow top, because I thought it could tolerate stuff like that. Anyway, now after a few days of sitting, the voltage is like 11.9, vs. 12.5 on the red top I have. Is this within tolerance? or should I try to take it back under warranty? I don't know if the autozone people will give me grief since it mostly works, but just gets weak quickly...

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

autozone is pretty good about exchanges, the worst that could happen is they say no, take it back and let them load test it...... you never no

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I know for a fact Auto Zone will take back just about everything if it's within reason. Like he said, bring it in, let them test it and maybe you'll get a new batt. out of it. :D

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, Optima has a full exchange warranty at any dealer. You could take it to costco and have it exchanged,no questions. That is how it is done around here.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Take it to Autozone & get it load tested. If nothing else it will give you piece of mind.