Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yerington 300 pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 31, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

VORRA finally hit the desert of Nevada Memorial Day weekend to kick off the Desert Series of the season.

The night before the race, all the race vehicles are lead down Main St. by Yerington's finest for a little parade.

[​IMG]

Steve Sullivan and his co-driver for the parade. This car has a mongo HP Vette engine, but unfortunately the car has had CV problems all season and DNFed the race.
    [​IMG]

The next set of pics was taken out at the first road crossing. While it was about a 10 mile trip down hardball and access road for me, this was only about 5 miles into the course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a little sidenote, the owner of this truck, Matt Taylor is also in the midst of building a rock buggy. He's a true privateer. This truck still has the stock dash complete with working speedo and the stock four banger under the hood that is still smog legal. You might be surprised, Matt is in the hunt for the points lead.
    [​IMG]

For those of you that know desert racing and follow the rockcrawling comps, this truck used to belong to Walker Evans. It is a full-time 4WD straight axle rig; and is home to the custom spring mounts that I posted earlier.
    [​IMG]

Pyscho is all I have to say about someone who would drive a friggin Luv in an off road race. BTW, the occupants are also wearing open faced helmets. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]

This last pic is of Billy Manfroy. I was lucky enough to catch him pit before he headed out for his final lap. Unfortunately, the steering box came off a few minutes after he left the pit.

For those that do not follow desert racing, the pit stop for most of these guys are the total opposite of NASCAR 14 second jobs. During this stop, the crew tighten all wheel lugnuts, changed out the alternator, alt. hookup and battery, gassed her up and went over the truck pretty good. If I recall correctly, this is where Billy was passed for the lead.

One last note, Billy is paralyzed from the waist down. That means he controls his truck completely with hand controls and he is one of the fastest out in the dirt.

[​IMG]

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

How many entries were there?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Cool pics, brother. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't get much exposure to desert racing. Maybe it's because there's no desert around here.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    How many entries were there?

[/ QUOTE ]

46 I believe. Don't have my notes handy. Finish rate was 51% I believe.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't get much exposure to desert racing. Maybe it's because there's no desert around here....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you need a vacation. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That ex-Evans truck, since I didn't see the posting on the spring mounts, is it the one I saw several years ago at the SEMA show ? 3 link front with the largest SRE I've ever seen not on an aircraft attaching the 'A' arm to the D60 axle housing.
    AIR it was set up with a threaded sleave so that loosening two jam nuts & turning the sleave would change the static castor. Was a cool design.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    That ex-Evans truck, since I didn't see the posting on the spring mounts, is it the one I saw several years ago at the SEMA show ? 3 link front with the largest SRE I've ever seen not on an aircraft attaching the 'A' arm to the D60 axle housing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to venture to say no. It's sprung under leaf on all four corners and the front end is a D44. The guy gave me the history of the truck, but as far as I can remember is that he got it from Rod Hall's driving school.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

nice pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif did he truss the axles on that dodge?

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    nice pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif did he truss the axles on that dodge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Ain't that unbelievable?

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

thats cool. i guess in that little corner of the off road world 1/2 ton stuff is ok after all /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i would truss for a little piece of mind, but hey, if its workin, leave it alone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    thats cool. i guess in that little corner of the off road world 1/2 ton stuff is ok after all /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i would truss for a little piece of mind, but hey, if its workin, leave it alone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We should really explore that 1/2 ton stuff a little more...........It's got a 60 out back /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We should really explore that 1/2 ton stuff a little more.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the guys in our club is constantly preaching that 1/2 ton stuff is fine as long as the gearing is right, the tires aren't bigger than 37s and you learn how to drive... I'm thinking of using alloy axle shafts and CTM U joints for the knuckles. 12bolt rear and d44 front. sm465/np205 with 410 gears in the diffs. Then I'll see how the drive shafts hold up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's got a 60 out back

[/ QUOTE ]
    now a 6 lug rear 60 would be cool. wonder if you can get 6 lug shafts for it. if not a guy could always use dodge 44 rotors up front and use dodge 1/2 ton wheels. another option for the desert folks would be a ford 9" and then use ford 44 rotors up front. i know this will start some flaming- putting furd parts on your chev. i've seen a couple 9" rears under blazers though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

now once again, so we don't start a big axle pissing match, i'm talking desert/pre-running here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif we all know big tires + mud or rocks = need for beefy axles.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If I remember right, it was 5 lug all the way around. Huge ones too... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

People who bitch about putting Ford stuff on a Chevy are closed-minded idiots. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If the 1/2 ton stuff is built right, it will work. I'm on a long term 9" build up for the K5.

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm on a long term 9" build up for the K5.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL! i know all about LONG TERM build ups! keep me posted if you will. do you have an axle yet? if so what year and vehicle? thanks,

jason

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

great pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL! i know all about LONG TERM build ups! keep me posted if you will. do you have an axle yet? if so what year and vehicle? thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Got hubs, rotors, spindles, third members but no housing yet. The shafts have to be custom made. Using the D44 stuff, the shaft has to be necked down to fit into the spindle. Then D60 drive slugs are used.

The article that I'm using for reference, the author said he spent something like $2300 to build his. Unfortunately for him, I plan on low balling his cost to death. So far, I've got about $50 into it. Another $100 for a housing (Ford 1/2 tons earlier than I think '88). The big $$$ items are the drive slugs and shafts.....

17. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so what you're saying is to use ford spindles and rotors with a cheby 44 you have to neck down the axles??? got a link to this arctile? thanks,

jason

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Here it is..... Full Float 9"

Actually it's using Chevy D44 stuff and that's what I have. I may one of these days, just to mindfawk people switch everything to 5 lug /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif