Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yes, a Ford question, but who has/had a Bronco II or TTB Ranger?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by AJMBLAZER, May 3, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Been noticing they seem to have held up better to the Michigan winters than the S10's and S10 Blazers did, and they might make a good winter beater. Not to mention for all it's problems, TTB is better than GM's IFS any day./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

So who has or has had one? I'm thinking an early 90's or newer one. You can get a rusty but trusty one for $1500 or less around here in Michigan. Make a good winter beater and 4x4 play toy (for the stupid stuff I wouldn't subject the future K5 too/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif).

What did you think of it? What was good, what was bad? Etc, etc?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My mom and dad had an 86 Bronco II. It was a tough little rig I gotta give it that. It lasted thru 3, 16 yr old males hitting the road for the first time! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

As far as TTB over IFS, TTB has it hands down in my book. My buddy had a F/S 95 Bronco that we beat the snot out of. It finally died when he rolled it 5-6 times. Long story short. he was drunk and went off the side of the road. He popped a bead on a rear tire lost control and hit a telephone pole, ripping the rear axle out, spinning him around and causing the roll. He wasnt wearing a belt and went thru the windshield. He walked away after a wrecker picked the Bronco up off of him. He won "The lucky SOB of the yr" in my book.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really do not like Fords !!!!!! A friend of mine owns garage, they see more Fords in there becouse of mecanical failure then anything else. He says a little "Toyota" 4x4 would make a much better beater. They're cheap and you can pound the s#*t out of them.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

pureinsanity, when I was in High School my neighbor's first truck was an 86 Bronco II. Bone stock, and we beat the snot outta that thing. Kept on going. Went through 2 engines, 3rd was sounding funny when he sold it. It was a pretty good 4x4 for being kinda underpowered and having road-ish tires on it./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Z3PR, yes, I am not all that impressed with much of what Ford has made since 1979, but of the surviving and affordable 4x4 mini trucks around here, I think the Ranger or Bronco II is the best. Leaf-over axle in the rear, coil springs up front to "sorta" a solid axle with some flex, and and actual measureable amount of ground clearance. The engines in them aren't that powerful, but I'm sure a 4.3L and 700R4 could be squished in there./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'd love a Toyota, but I live in Michigan. There aren't many of them here because only in the last decade or so have they really gotten a decent enough foothold to actually sell some cars. This is the home state of the Big 3, so Toyota, while selling a good product, didn't sell a lot of their product for a long time. If you look in the Grand Rapids Press Cars For Sale section, you'll find a good column or two for Chevy trucks, the same for Fords, and also Dodges. Go to the Toyotas. There might be a couple for sale. They're usually Tacomas for $14,000 or so. Sometimes there aren't any./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I've looked, trust me. That and they are rust prone, so the Michigan winter combined with road salt eats them whole. I've seen a few old 79-85 solid axles Toys around, but most of them are about dead. Box is a nightmare, completely falling apart, cab is barely there, you can see through the bottom of the doors, frame has rust holes, etc. Not pretty, and not what I'm looking for in a $1500 winter beater. It has to at least hold together for me to drive it to work./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I grew up in Omaha, Ne. where the 80's Toyota 4x4's are in abundance. Down there you can get one for around a grand of less in decent shape.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I think their ok. It don't take much to swap in a strait axel and a small block windsor engine either.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My moms went thru several trannys but is still going to this day. I see it all the time. My dad had it repainted and striped, so its easy to identify because it wasnt done back stock. (before I learned to paint that is) I have done every car and truck in the family since I became a body and paint man 13 yrs ago. There is a definate difference between what dad had done and what I had done. My stuff still looks good and has a shine. LOL! The last one I did was moms 4 runner back in 97 and it looks as good today as the day it left the shop.

As I said about moms Bronco II, it survived me and my 2 brothers, so it had to be a tough little rig. LOL!

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had an 86 Ranger X-cab - great little truck (until a slight rollover incident), If it wasn't impossible to find another one in good (non-abused) shape I'd buy another in a heartbeat. The 302/C6/BW1345 combo out of a 86-87 Bronco will actually fit in one with very little trouble too/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

My dads got a nice 90 ranger that he drives in the summer. it's got the 2.9 v6 and the 5 speed manual. I like it much more than the 84 s-10 I had as far as reliability goes. If I get rid of the grand prix for the winter (really like the 28 mpg however with a v6) I will probably look for a bronco II.

10. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

i just sold mine for my k5. it was a 96 with 7" lift and 33's. i think rangers kick ass compared to s10's, etc. i dont like the torsion bar set up on the newer ones but the pre 1998 ones are great. they flex really well and jump well to!