Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yes Fumes... I continue to be correct... more tofu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by camiswelding, Mar 15, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Study: Tofu, Oatmeal Lower Cholesterol
    By BETH DUFF-BROWN (Associated Press Writer)
    From Associated Press
    March 14, 2006 7:26 PM EST
    TORONTO - Maybe your doctor should write up a grocery list to help lower your cholesterol, suggests a small study that showed a rigid diet seemed as effective as cholesterol-lowering pills.
    Of course, sticking to that diet may not be easy.
    "People interested in lowering their cholesterol should probably acquire a taste for tofu and oatmeal," said study co-author David Jenkins of the University of Toronto.
    The study, published this month in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, was funded in part by almond promoters and a major food company.
    Jenkins, Canadian research chair in metabolism and nutrition at Toronto, and Dr. Cyril Kendall, also of the University of Toronto, studied 55 middle-aged men and women who had high cholesterol and were at risk for heart disease.
    The participants were already on a heart-healthy diet. They were then prescribed a diet that included more specific foods, such as raw almonds, tofu and other soy foods, viscous fibers such as oatmeal, barley, okra and eggplant, and plant sterol-enriched margarine.
    After a year, the group who stuck faithfully to the new eating plan lowered their cholesterol by an average of 29 percent. Jenkins said the rate was comparable to results from participants who had taken a statin drug for one month before starting the diet, as well as general studies of patients on such drugs.
    The group of participants who did not follow the diet as strictly still lowered their cholesterol by 10 percent to 20 percent. "That's still pretty good, and the point is, the more closely you follow the diet, the better you do," said Kendall.
    Cholesterol for those who didn't stick to the new diet remained about the same.
    The soy, nut and fiber diet is promoted by the Almond Board of California, which helped fund the study along with Unilever. Unilever makes Take Control margarine, a cholesterol-lowering spread that's available in the United States, Europe and Australia, but not Canada.
    The diet includes low-fat dairy products, smaller portions of lean meats and skinless poultry and substituting soy products for animal foods when possible. The more dieters combine foods rich in viscous fiber - oat bran, barley, okra and eggplant - as well as raw almonds, peanuts and walnuts, the more their cholesterol dropped, according to the study.
    Dr. Alice H. Lichtenstein, a professor of public health and nutrition at Tufts University in Boston, said the study was scientifically solid, but the diet is so strict she believes most North Americans would find it hard to follow in the real world.
    "It's a great diet and they started with a very motivated group of individuals who were used to consuming a low-fat or vegetarian diet," Lichtenstein said in a telephone interview. "But I think that for the general population, we have to be realistic - and it's unlikely that they're going to be able to adhere to something like this." ( DOES HE MEAN CK5'ers???)
    That mind-set is what Jenkins hopes to change.
    The real world is "a relatively hostile place" when it comes to healthy eating, he said. "We're asking people to buck the trend."
    ----
    The diet: http://www.portfolioeatingplan.com

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I try to eat my oatmeal every day,I lowered my cholesterol 100 points in a month...

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

They've crapped everything out of their bodies, what did you expect? :D

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ummm ya, that study is from canada
    so it really means nothing

5. camiswelding

black rifle boy... did the grips come?

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

mags? nope
    were you sending grips?

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm listening to Afro Man right now...

"Now I'm walkin down the street with some chicken and a forty..."

:D

Yes, I listen to it every time I have fried chicken for dinner, it's a tradition :bow:

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

hmmm...so maybe skipping mickey d's would prove just as effective.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I read a study a couple weeks ago that made me think of you Cam...

It was about the benefits and detriments of oatmeal (I switched to 3+ cups of oatmeal a day a couple weeks ago). It said yes, oatmeal does indeed lower bad cholesterol through soluble fiber, but it also went to some length about whether or not bad cholesterol is really bad...

It pointed out how heart disease and arteriosclerosis have increased since the 50's. In the 20's or 30's (maybe later, I can't remember), a German doctor invented the electric cardiograph, and his peers thought it was great, but only useful in extremely rare situations, such as heart disease and arteriosclerosis. Heart disease was rare back then, because the food, meat included, was not processed en masse with chemicals and preservatives.
    Since the 50's, when processed foods started becoming more popular, heart disease has increased regularly as one of the top killers of adults.

The article went on to explain how the "bad" cholesterol gained from animal fats is actually necessary for the body, and that there has been no study ever to show a link between cholesterol in animal fat and hardening of the arteries or heart disease. I thought of you when it pointed out emphatically that some of the compounds in the animal fats are necessary for better health, and could be found in no plant or vegetarian food.

So essentially, we don't have to reduce our cholesterol because we eat meat, we have to reduce it cause we eat processed foshizzle that dumps crap in our arteries...

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I was reading in my handy dandy kitchen guide that tofu and soy products go bad as fast as seafood

11. Resurrection_Joe

Ahahahahahaha. That's great

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

This is what I'm starting to believe.

13. camiswelding

you all eat the fooshizzle... Ill stick to tofu...

just what the heck is fooshizzle anyway,,, sounds like the stuff they fed us on fridays in the mess hall,, you know,, the stuff they had from all week... mixed in that creamy mystery sauce

nothing goes to waste...

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Gotta admit hamster the new tofu dogs I got and the go lean burger is pretty good stuff.I see meat exiting my house in a couple years,,,,unles I kill a deer or elk. And like I've mentioned before I'm a poor hunter...:bow:

15. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

As soon as I hit the part about eating Margarine, I knew this article was a bunch of crap... cams, no offense, but it seems like you eat more processed crap than the rest of us Meat Eaters.... I'd rather down an Angus Filet with a baked potato, salad with all the fixins topped with non-reduced fat Thousand Island dressing, a couple of pieces of Texas Toast coated until dripping with REAL DRAWN butter, and wash it all down with a huge glass of milk than eat an ounce of Tofu, or a tablespoon of Margarine, or any other Soy product for that matter.... In fact, the only soy product I ever intend to use is Biodiesel.

The processing that goes into making soy products digestible for humans takes away half the nutritional value in the first place. Dude, I love oatmeal... the real stuff too... not that instant crap... but I agree with the other guys here... there are things in red meat that our bodies need that you just can't get anywhere else.... unless you want to take supplements for the rest of your life in replacement of good old cow blood.

16. camiswelding

now that was an iggnorant reply... not based on any facts...if you actually thought about the foods you just said you would rather "down" you might want to talk to an intelligent nutritionist first..

Healthy alternatives used improoperly are just as unhealthy as junk food...
    I dont eat margarine... its high in oils.. probably hydrogenated... and super bad for your heart... all the "healthy start" crap is just that... crap marketing under a "health" logo.. in isnt@@@@

How about this
    flash news.. ap reports atkins diet may not be good for you...

while the diet may work to reduce weight the increased taxing of the systems (liver kidneys digestive tract) of the body offsets any benefits gained from the diet....

you know.. factual stuff like this is helpful

As far as me eating processed food.... I can assure you I eat less processed fooods than 99.9 percent of america.... my wife and I make most of what we eat... and try to grow a large percentage of that

Eat what you like... I only wish I didnt have to contribute taxes towards people who abuse themselves or dont act moderately... ie eat large amounts of red meat.. smoke, drink.. do stupid things that end up costing all of us increased insurance and taxes

Oh yes,, Im not offended.. Im opinionated!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2006
  17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I ate soy today and now my arse stinks like burnt rubber...:haha:

18. Resurrection_Joe

...and smelly

19. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

This is all very funny because it seems every few years or so They come out and say this and that is bad for you Then later on they say they were wrong . My grandfather wa a farmer all his life and he ate lot's of eggs , pork , and red meat + all the veggies he grew . He worked hard on the farm and I think that is the key to it all is Working hard , exerzise and a balanced diet . To many people sit on their butt and eat junk food and smoke and wonder why they are in bad health :haha: . Hell anything can be bad for you if you have to much of it :D .

20. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Thanks man!

Oh, and tofu goes bad faster than seafood. Have to change the water every day.